General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On the subject of vaccinations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Dec 2020 19:21

I had my first ever flu vaccination today! :-)

Under normal circumstances, I'd be too young to get it, and have no medical reasons to make me an exception, but it was offered to me, so I said yes please!

Hopefully it will be well established by the time the Covid vaccination comes around.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Dec 2020 19:23

I had my first ever two weeks ago. No side effects at all thankfully. Couldn't even see where the needle went in.

They didn't charge me either. Cos they said I qualified as an unpaid carer who's husband was on the shield

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Dec 2020 19:32

I wasn't charged either.
They've decided to vaccinate the 50 - 64's on the NHS! :-D

Mary

Mary Report 9 Dec 2020 11:32

I also had my 1st jab two weeks ago age 71
Didn't feel a thing,in fact I had to ask him if he had done it and he said yes.
No problem,just slight stiff upper arm.

Maryb.

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Dec 2020 11:36

I have never yet had one although I have qualified for a long time.

Not decided yet about the Covid vaccination.

Island

Island Report 9 Dec 2020 11:52

I'm an old hand with the flu jab, 15 years, due to health issue/meds. Never had any side affects and only had a sore (to lie on) arm twice

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2020 11:54

Been having the flu jab for 20 years approx. No problems with it except a couple of times some years back I immediately developed a cough and cold. No problem at all this year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Dec 2020 15:33

I only accepted it, because it was offered.
I haven't had flu in about 30 years, however, the thought of a double whammy of flu and Covid is just to unbearable to contemplate!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 9 Dec 2020 16:22

I have one every year because I am becoming ancient! I usually have a bit of a sore arm, but it goes off after a couple of days. That is a small price to be protected from flu. Too many people think that flu is just a bad cold. I had genuine flu about fifteen years ago when I was a mere youngster and I would never like to have it again

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Dec 2020 16:36

I was told, many years ago, that after any vaccine in the arm, if you swing your arm round a few times it disperses the drug and usually prevents sore arms.

It works too. Back in the day, if you went anywhere tropical, you were like a pincushion beforehand. The typhoid jab particularly was liable to give you a swollen and painful arm. We all swung our arms around and none of us had sore arms. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Dec 2020 19:14

The nurse who gave me my flu jab was mightily impressed at the huge scar I still have from a smallpox jab (plus all the other vaccinations) I had when I was about a year old, before we moved to Malta :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2020 21:33

I've had the flu vaccination every year since 2005. I also had the pneumonia shot in 2005 at the same time. as I had my first flu one ............ one in each arm! The pneumonia one had a slight reaction, but I had no reaction to the flu shot, either then or since.

My worst reaction was when I had to get the smallpox jab back in 1967 ........... I'd never had it, but it was required for entry in the US.

My arm was swollen and really sore ................. and it wasn't helped when one of the school girls accidentally let a swing fire door hit that arm. OUCH!

edited ca 3:20 am Dec 10

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 10 Dec 2020 00:19

I've had the 'flu jab for years (escept last year, when I was under the weather when it was offered, and then just didn't get round to booking it.

had the jab since 1990, while working for the NHS. Was still allowed to have it (still free) when I left because of ill-health.
keep having it because I what to "become ancient"

Loke others, I often had all sorts of injections when a child as da was in the army and we went to the far East (twice)
The 'flu jab is nothing compared to some of the others.

Note. I hated taking the polio vaccine on a lump of sugar. (1965) Actually gave up sugar the same week (if not the same day).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Dec 2020 03:22

I was among the early ones to get the polio vaccine, back about 1956/7, still in high school then.

But before that, I'd only had a couple because most were not available ................ measles, chicken pox etc were all caught naturally

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2020 07:50

Shingles - a jab highly recommended for the much older generation.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 Dec 2020 12:07

OH and I have both had the shingles jab and also the one for hepatitis B. Both were given the first time we went for flu jabs.

Maggie, I too have a large scar from my smallpox innoculation, given when I was about 10 and there was an outbreak in the town where I went to school. Those who lived in the town were done at school and those of us that didn't were told it was optional, but recommended. This was pre NHS, so parents had to pay.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2020 12:15

The capacity of extremely clever people to be exceptionally stupid sometimes continues to be regularly demonstrated by the media in debates concerning this awful virus. :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Dec 2020 12:30

I don't get the flu jab every year but did last year and this. Here it's offered free to everyone the reasoning being it's cheaper to do that than deal with lots of sick people in hospital with the flu.