General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Text message sent to landline

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Dec 2020 22:08

Has anyone had a call on their landline where a voice reads out a text message sent via a mobile to you on your landline instead of your mobile?

Yesterday my landline rang 6 times and stopped. I didnt answer as i thought it might be an aunt who thinks nothing of keeping you on the phone for 2 hours or more!!
When it stopped, I dialled 1471 and wrote down the number. it began with 0845.

I then googled this and some reviews said it was BT. As i am not with BT, I chose to ignore it as thought it might be a scam. Every hour for the next 6 hours, the tel rang 6 times & then stopped.By 8pm, I was getting really cross, so I decided to answer it and was surprise to hear an automated voice reading a text that a friend whom I Know well had sent by mistake to the landline instead of my mobile.
The tel would keep ringing until I had answered and listened to the message!

I did tell my friend what she had done and her response was"oops..major senior moment".

So if anyone else has ever had a call or indeed made a mistake sending a text, this is what happens.

At least it was genuine and not a scam.

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Dec 2020 06:58

Yes, Florence. Message was always a reminder for my OH from his dentist.

That was a good while ago - at least a couple of years - and they stopped when he gave the dental surgery his mobile number.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 5 Dec 2020 10:47

I get this sometimes from one particular friend who goes into her contacts list where she has my landline and mobile numbers and without thinking presses the wrong one. Hearing that disembodied voice giving me a message was a bit disconcerting the first time it happened.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Dec 2020 15:14

A deaf elderly relative used to occasionally text to my landline. The translations were often hilarious. I can’t now remember what WWII stood for but it had me puzzled for ages.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 6 Dec 2020 14:25

I used to get the automated voice from my dentist too. I hated it, very difficult to understand. In fact the first time happened I rang off.
After that it went to my answering machine. Still difficult to understand, even when I could replay a few times.