General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What would you like to get in a xmas cracker?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Nov 2020 18:51

When you pull your cracker on xmas day at the table, the usual gifts fall out dont they? The fish that curls up, a compass, playing cards, a plastic ring etc

So if you wish for one thing inside your cracker, what would it be?
But it has to fit inside a cracker.

I would like a real diamond and sapphire ring!

Florence in the hebrides ;-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Nov 2020 19:21

A rolled up piece of paper showing details of my Great great grandfather's parents, ...with evidence.
Each census shows him born in Beaulieu, but...

I've been looking for them about 20 years now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2020 19:34

Was he a squatter, Gwyn?

http://www.geodata.soton.ac.uk/newforest/public/resources/eastb.htm

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Nov 2020 19:46

Oooh thanks Maggie.
I'll take a look at that site.

Henry married just too early in 1837 for his father to be known.
I have a family 'waiting in the wings' to possibly attach him to.
His father would then be Thomas, a blacksmith ( like Henry) who had several children with his wife Jane, baptised in Beaulieu with a convenient gap between children to have had Henry c. 1812.
Thomas was mostly shown as from Beaulieu, but for some children's baptisms he was 'of Bucklers Hard'.
I've mentioned them before...........

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/700305

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2020 19:57

'Beaulieu Rails' in the article - AKA East Boldre.
Another thought - could Henry be Thomas Henry, but called Henry?

My g grandad was christened Sidney Gilford Johnson, but on both the 1891 and 1901 census he's named as Gilford - likewise, his brother Ivan Frederick was known as Frederick, and Silvanus was known as Herbert - which wasn't one of his names!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 19 Nov 2020 21:56

I would like a syringe full of Covid vaccine please

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2020 08:58

a note from my OH to say he was fully recovered and fit and well enough to come home from hospital.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Nov 2020 10:33

I'm with Linda - a safe vaccine for all, please.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 20 Nov 2020 11:03

Me 3. The vaccine, especially with my OH being so poorly. Being able to see our families without fear would be great :-)

Ann, Hope T will be home with you soon <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2020 11:26

Jem, I really have my doubts about that but we can only hope. xx

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Nov 2020 14:10

As a perpetual hedonist, I still had to think about it and I would like a really good fountain pen with an italic nib please.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 20 Nov 2020 14:19

A little 'magic potion' for me, to help me cope with Mum's dementia, and know exactly what to do for the best, each day, to help her.

Ann Glos, thinking of you <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Nov 2020 14:24

Thinking of you too,Sheila, and everybody else who is caring. Don't think I could handle dementia care.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 20 Nov 2020 14:28

Thinking of you Sheila, a very emotionally hard time for you <3

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Nov 2020 15:09

Sheila, if you haven't already read it, may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Sally Magnussen's book "Where Memories Go".

It covers several years of caring for her mother, who had dementia, and is very good. She had help from other family members who happened to live near enough, and being a journalist had access to various experts that most of us wouldn't have, but it all makes for an interesting and informative read.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Nov 2020 20:43

I hope everyone will get what they wish for. I know I said a lovely ring but seriously,if we could put our wishes inside a cracker this xmas, then I hope when we pull them,they will all come true.

Florence in the hebrides