General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wow!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Nov 2020 17:07

How are you Scots feeling about your new restrictions and will the English, Welsh & NI get that tough?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Nov 2020 17:50

Some research done in Spain says that if you own a dog you re bout 78% more likely to catch coved and food deliveries double your chances.

So I’ m alright. I don’t have dog and go to the supermarket myself thus avoiding deliveries. My daughter has more or less moved out in the last couple of weeks , so I hardly see the Amazon delivery man either.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 17 Nov 2020 18:04

As we live in the North East it does not affect us.....Yet
We are level 2.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Nov 2020 18:23

I have absolutely no Scottish DNA, I've only lived there on and off for over 10 years of my life - not sure if that counts - but I'll wait to hear from those directly affected!

However on the 'avoidance' issue,
I've had one home delivery in all these months - it was free (I'm not going to pay), and was mainly for cat food. Unfortunately it didn't sell the cat food my cats prefer :-| , so I'm not likely to be doing that again, soon.
My cats rarely venture out of the garden - well, actually, Betty refuses to venture out of the house, and I have no dog - but 4 close relations have recently got dogs!

I expect England will only have such a tough lockdown if the Government run out of ways to line their, and their friends pockets with our tax, or the death rate starts creeping towards 100,000.

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Nov 2020 19:34

Scottish independence - will they or won't they during my diminishing lifetime?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 18 Nov 2020 01:07

My area has moved to Level 4.

We knew it was coming and understand fully that the restrictions are primarily to stop the spread and protect the NHS.
We have lots of friends in the NHS who are overworked and exhausted.
They are bearing the brunt again.

I'm not yet convinced that keeping schools open is a good idea although I can now offset this....

Last time, my daughter returned to work after maternity leave and I was to be the primary carer for our grandson.
4 days back at work and we all went into full lockdown and she was furloughed.
I never saw her or the baby for another 4months.
That was awful.

She has since been made redundant and got herself a new job working in a School!
As schools are remaining open, I can travel outside of my area, into hers and be the primary carer for my grandson. (They also live in a Level 4 area LOL.)

Dermot
I've never been a nationalist.
Voted to remain in the UK and voted to remain in the EU.
I never thought I'd ever say this but, for the fist time ever, I am seriously considering if independence is the way to go.

:-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Nov 2020 14:01

If they loosen the reins for Christmas, heaven help us all.

I think Boris ought to be as strict as Nicola to save some people from themselves. :-|

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Nov 2020 18:59

Don’t think it will stop some people
Joy and who will regulate to see it
happens. It’s not law so some will
do their own thing.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Nov 2020 19:11

I have an older friend who is beginning to get ‘forgetful’. She also has never read a daily newspaper.
I eventually persuaded her she needed to wear a mask for her weekly shop. I have to assume she still does, but I have real difficulty getting her to understand that she can’t have people on or go elsewhere for coffee. She says who would know. Fortunately she doesn’t have a huge social circle but I usually feel I’m hitting my head on a brick wall whenever I speak to her.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Nov 2020 19:14

Nameless one that’s sad. I used to nurse people like your friend.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Nov 2020 19:16

It's where Boris went wrong earlier, Emma. Rules and advice - no one knew where they were! :-S

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Nov 2020 19:18

It did sound confusing Joy when I heard him :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Nov 2020 15:39

We can't travel outside Dumfries & Galloway or go to England .just staying local better that way than causing more problems if we travel to level 4 places NS has got it right Boris does he know what he is doing .why relax things for Two Days at Christmas There could be thousand of people ill or dying please take notice of our MPS be safe but thoughtful of others . :-) The vaccine could save lives there is always hope within the tragic year of Covid 19 .

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Nov 2020 19:00

Thankfully we are in level 1 due the low number of cases here but with people travelling in off the ferry, we still have to be very careful and not become complacent.

All flights to Glasgow have been cancelled and from Inverness to London Heathrow. So even if my parents were ill, Im not able to fly down south. I simply couldn't drive as its hundreds of miles and im not confident to do that.

I dont think things should be relaxed for 2 days at xmas as sadly i believe the damage it would do is just not worth it.This xmas will not be the same as usual but for the sake of keeping well and staying alive, we must stick to the rules.

If things improve by spring, one can have a family dinner then with all the trimmings can't we?

Florence in the hebrides