General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Rinder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2020 08:12

Did anyone else watch the programme last night?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Nov 2020 08:32

Yes.... on a recording.
I viewed in the early hours today, so want to watch again when fully awake.

What came over to me was the untold stories, hinted at in the way the older generations in UK behaved, but unspoken of, as a means of coping with the pain.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Nov 2020 08:48

It was very well done - so moving.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2020 09:41

It brought home, to me, the 'reality' of the people, and how important it is for refugees from war, to have a safe haven.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Nov 2020 13:01

I didn't watch it last night but I will when my mind is ready.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2020 14:12

Hmm - you probably didn't watch it, then, Rollo.
It was more than just 'Bernie'.

Strange how some people feel they can critique something they haven't watched.
To quote you: "She does not care for the Rinder and other simioar (your spelling) programs (your spelling again) because the truth is far, far worse".

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Nov 2020 14:25

The woman telling Bernie what had happened was having difficulty as she found it upsetting. One the the things she did was to read out what had been done under questioning. Bernie learnt exactly how his grandfather had one eye.
The Dutch story explained what happened to a great aunt, including she missed being saved from the gas chambers by one day.
Rinder himself was given a child’s eye view of what happened to his relatives.

If you knew nothing of this dreadful period and listened carefully you would have learnt a lot.

Tell the story.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2020 14:28

So true, nameslessone,
Ir also showed how parents/grandparents who had survived had kept the truth from their children.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Nov 2020 14:34

And if you didn’t understand then the sight of that long, long filled in trench should have bought it home.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Nov 2020 14:36

Did this programme come from the Robert Rinder 'Who do you think you are?'

I have recorded it to watch later. I know it will be very sad.

Lizx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2020 14:40

It's based on what he learnt during 'WDYTYA' about his own family during the war.
He's taking others' to trace their Jewish ancestors, and what happened to them during the war.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Nov 2020 15:32

This has reminded me of one of the Dutch girls in my class at secondary school. She told us her mother, being a young girl, had carried ‘stuff’ passed the Germans . I remembered thinking how brave that had been.
Of course, being teenagers, we never asked any questions.