General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Firework Night

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Nov 2020 12:11

In a normal year, from our upstairs flat, we can watch two public displays, both about 5 miles away, in opposite directions across the Firth of Clyde. There are also, usually, several local small parties in gardens.

This year I have been surprised by how quiet it has been. I had actually forgotten it was firework night!!

The public displays, held on the nearest Saturday, have been cancelled and people in the village are being law-abiding citizens. BUT - last night we noticed fireworks going off in Greenock, until quite late at night.

This morning OH read that it was a private party and was broken up by police and the fire brigade. Somebody called the fire brigade because the bonfire was "too big" and they were pelted with bottles etc. So the fire brigade called the police, who were set upon by the revellers. The local parish priest complained that they were using his church wall as a public toilet, and was told by the police to go and lock himself up, for his own safety.

I don't know the outcome, but I guess some of them will be in court this morning!

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Nov 2020 12:26

police had a running battle with youths in my area who were throwing fireworks
i hope they arrested some and locked them up. Police and firebrigade have enough to cope with without these idiots
Seems to be a fair few of them around the country
:-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Nov 2020 13:39

There was few bangs locally. .must have been neighbours but it didn’t last long

Mr Tibbs the cat though wasn’t impressed

Instead of in and out all evening he went upstairs and curled up on the bathroom mat in the dark

I looked for him when I realised I hadn’t seen him for some time and he didn’t come in from the garden when I called him

He wasn’t a happy boy .

Later he came down but slunk around the floor close to furniture.so much so I wondered if he had injured himself somewhere

Just as I was ok am off to bed he was want to go out now please

Nope sorry too late

So he presented me with a smelly in his cat litter overnight

He has been out a few times this morning so all well again

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Nov 2020 16:20

There were more fireworks and bonfires than ever before near us. The fireworks were constant (and I really mean constant) from the afternoon until about 11 pm. The smoke from bonfires was thick and like fog, so much so that we actually thought the house at the end of our cul-de-sac was on fire!

There were also people in and out of other houses and gardens when they shouldn't have been.

The air was still full of the smell of bonfires this morning.

Kath. x

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 6 Nov 2020 18:54

Exactly the same here.
Like you Kath, there were more bonfire parties in our area than ever!

My poor cat Rhodri crawled in on his belly and hid under my stool. I made a tent out of a fleece throw for him to hide under.

We rescued Rhodri from a hedge that he'd been living in for years. He is very timid. How frightened he must have been with fireworks being let off over the years.

Like your cat Shirley, Rhodri decided to go out when it was all over and wouldn't come back in for ages! So I was very late going to bed (I don't let him out over night)

And they are still at it tonight! :-| :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Nov 2020 22:10

On tonight's Scottish News they said there had been 1200 calls to the fire brigade, not for normal fires but for illegal gatherings and bonfires.

And on several of them the firemen were attacked! :-( :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2020 07:36

So more bangs last night and Tibbs really not happy

Neither was I cos going out to the kitchen he had puked on hall runner

Checked around and oh no two pukes on my cream coloured bedroom carpet

Carpet foam cleaner to the fore

Still stained this morning so more foam down

Not happy. But then neither was he poor Tibbs :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Nov 2020 11:50

Dare I ask Maggie if she enjoyed the ring of fire?

The circle of fireworks around Winchester of course. :-D

Annx

Annx Report 7 Nov 2020 16:22

The Police were called to a gathering of 40 odd people in our village on a playing field next to houses. It's reported they were using thousands of pounds worth of heavy duty fireworks normally used for public events and the people in the houses were so worried they called the Police. A local councillor said it took him 2 hours to clean up the mess the next morning.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Nov 2020 22:00

How angry it makes me when people are so selfish, anti-social and thoughtless with fireworks.

It's definitely time for new regulations of fireworks, with both accessibility and noise levels being addressed. The loud repetitive bangs heard every night have been awful and unnecessary. Surely it's the visual part that's the attraction for most people.

Watching the Farm programme on Channel 5 yesterday the farmers said they buy special low noise fireworks for the annual display on.their land so their many animals aren't upset.

If these are available to them, why not make them the norm?

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2020 22:10

More bangs and rockets tonight

Even some just a few minutes ago

Mr Tibbs has taken himself into the cupboard under the stairs

I did take a quick trip upstairs and closed my bedroom door just in case ,so he found somewhere else to hide :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Nov 2020 23:42

Oh bless him!

Lizx