General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cats habits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2020 13:44

Since the pandemic (and being home) I've really noticed what my 14 year old cats do.

In March, when the weather was nice, Betty, who, for about the past 2 years had decided she no longer wished to use the cat flap, and go outside to 'do her business,' but would prefer to use a litter tray - actually went outside!
This lasted until September. :-( Now, she wees in the tray, and poos next to it, even if it's sparkly clean.
Her sleeping places were varied. Favourite place is the dining table :-( preferably on paper, cardboard, or a place mat. Then it was interspersed with the (now empty of ornaments) mantle piece, a hessian bag I didn't pick up in time, on the kitchen floor and coffee table.
Today, she has found the wicker chair with a cushion and fake sheepskin on it.
How long this will last - no-one knows.

George spent March until September outside, day and night. He was either in the undergrowth, or, I was surprised to find, 20ft up a tree :-0
I called him once, and watched him come down. Not bad for an old codger!
With the use of binoculars, I could see he was actually in a sort of nest!
In September, George spent a fair time of the day asleep on the mantlepiece, until Betty declared it 'her' place. Now, during the day, he sleeps in a cardboard box under the table.

At night, he used to sleep either on my bed (Betty rarely comes upstairs, unless she's scared), or the windowsill. Then he found the shoe shelves, and after knocking the footwear onto the floor, slept there for a few weeks. Now he sleeps on the chest of drawers (all in my bedroom).

It's just as well I never bothered buying a cat basket!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2020 16:31

I have two cat beds but Mr Tibbs doesn’t sleep in either of them

Last week I had an Amazon delivery and put the cardboard box near the back door to put out for recycling

Also had a large jiffy envelope delivered and put that in the box too

So where does Tibbs think is the most comfy place? Yep the box with the padded envelope in it

Seems it’s not going to be recycled yet !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2020 16:46

George's box is an 'Amazon' box - with screwed up paper (courtesy of 'Amazon') in the bottom :-D :-D :-D
He's not silly - it's under the table - right next to the radiator.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Oct 2020 17:30

My sisters had two cats each, one sister used to live in a caravan and her two cats would be out most of the day but would come indoors to use the litter tray then go back out again.
The other sisters cats did the same but when indoors for the night would only sleep on top of the wardrobes

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2020 17:39

What is it with cats & litter trays?

Betty's the only cat I've ever had, in my life, that chooses not to go outside to do her business!
George passes it on the way out of the cat flap, and has never had the urge to use it.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Oct 2020 17:59

When I stayed at one of my sisters place for a week to babysit her cats, one of them would nudge me, start to walk away then come back, it was to tell me she had used the tray and I needed to empty it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2020 18:04

That was very polite of her, ZZzzz!
When Betty's been she comes belting into the living room from the kitchen, jumps on the table and gives one 'meow'.
I'm not too happy about her table fixation, but I have had 13 years when she didn't do it!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Oct 2020 18:20

I often wonder what they would say if they could talk, dogs too for that matter ;-)

Tawny

Tawny Report 28 Oct 2020 18:31

My parents cats Gizmo and Rocky were litter brothers but couldn’t have been more different.

Rocky would be out most of the day then come in to use the litter tray before going out again. Gizmo on the other hand is the polar opposite even now at 16 years old. Gizmo can be in all day particularly in rain, ice, sleet and snow. He will however go outside rather than use the litter tray even in the horrendous weather.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2020 18:37

Betty and George are siblings too.
They've never snuggled together, but then, they never fight, either.

Betty and George never sleep in the same room overnight.
I had another brother, until 4 years ago, and when he was around, all 3 slept in separate rooms at night time.

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Oct 2020 20:07

My cat used to sleep with me every night..never invited it but he could open the door. He was an indoor cat as many are over here so had no choice but to use the litterbox...well he did but we were lucky no accidents....whilst the dog can open doors too she's in her crate at night.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Oct 2020 20:19

Not about cats now but we had a boxer dog a few years ago and when he was a puppy his bed was on the floor by my side of the bed,, I would have to have my hand on him all night or he would whine... he never came out of the habit.

Kay

Kay Report 29 Oct 2020 00:14

Animals. Dontcha just love 'em??!!
Wouldn't be without any of mine coz they just make me smile or laugh every day with their antics. They even get forgiven their naughtiness but then again, my friend does say they're all spoilt. Of course I correct her-they're not spoilt, just well loved.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Oct 2020 09:35

ZZzzz Does your hand still hang out of the bed?

Kay, that's so true. Mine are old, I have to put up with their idiosyncracies.
Betty is the worst.
I'm obviously not happy with her pooing next to the litter tray - but that's easier to clear up than wee.
About 3 weeks ago, she did both on my sofa. Fortunately, the covers are removable, and I have 2 sets - but she did it on the 'dry clean only' set - which I washed. Not sure if they'll fit now :-(
Now I have the washable set on - and the sofa is covered with a plastic sheet every evening, and when I go out! The cats haven't slept on the sofa for years.

Physically, apart from being a 'midget' - she's about the size of a 4 - 5 month old, always has been - she's fine, but mentally, obviously, there could be questions - but she's happy.
For all of us, as we get older.......
One day that could be me!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Oct 2020 15:48

Maggie I do hope you don't soil the sofa ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 29 Oct 2020 16:11

When Mr Owl and I got Meg and Mog 3 years ago Mog was so small the vet couldn’t tell if she was male or female. Three trips and two different vets within the same practice and we finally got the answer female. Mog is still on the small side but is definitely a dog in cats clothing. Mog dislikes all fish, cat milk, cat yoghurt and most meats. Mog likes antibiotics, chicken in Madeira sauce, bitter vanilla yoghurt, cows milk, boiled rice, chocolate ice cream and beer. Mog is also almost constantly wagging her tail with excitement.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Oct 2020 19:34

LaGooner - so far I've managed to avoid it!! :-)

Tawny, how did you get to learn Mog likes those things?
Do, by any chance, spoil her??? ;-)

Mine didn't used to like fish, fish cat food or milk (that's my milk, not cat milk), now, they love them. They've never tried the other stuff.

I know we're told not to give milk to cats - this is because some are lactose intolerant - that's some, not all - same as humans. They also have water down all the time.

Likewise, I've never had a cat that has taken the slightest interest in catnip :-S