General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not essential.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Oct 2020 12:03

There was a story in the morning press of a mother in Wales who could not replace ruined pyjamas for a child in hospital.
Now on the Red Button there is story of a Welsh Tesco’s refusing to sell period products as they weren’t essential!!,

You can’t even blame men as it appears they have periods too :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Oct 2020 12:28

Some crazy rules around at the moment, I think - in England too.

One child in my younger Grandson's class presented with Covid about a week ago but as Grandson was about three desks away he still had to go to school. The only ones who had to isolate were those children whose desks were nearer to the Covid sufferer.

In the same school, but a much older year so a much smaller form, the whole form was sent home to isolate when one presented with Covid.

It makes me wonder whether particular age groups are being used experimentally. I wouldn't put it past them! :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Oct 2020 12:42

I don't think I'm essential to this discussion! ;-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 Oct 2020 12:59

The story about the Sanitary Protection was a misapplication of Wales Government Covid Lock-Down rules by Tesco. Tesco has had to take down their reply to the lady involved and apologise.

Some of the restrictions do appear daft at face value, but they are designed to deter us from shopping more often than absolutely necessary.

The Covid Transmission rate (and subsequent deaths) in Wales is nearly as high as in the April Peak and we are fast running out of critical care beds.

We were given warning well ahead of time to prepare. I admit that for people with very little money coming in it may be difficult to buy in ahead of time. But it is only for 2 weeks.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Oct 2020 18:34

Cigarettes and alcohol. Essential or not?

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Oct 2020 19:02

Decent cup of tea.

It seems that Taylors of Harrogate are having some stock problems and I can't do without my loose leaf.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2020 19:32

Bob - Sugar, coffee, newspapers, essential or not?

I mean, I don't eat pasta or rice - why should that be an essential?

We can all claim certain things aren't 'essential' - but it's always a personal thing, and, quite frankly, anyone who thinks their view of 'essential' is the 'correct' one is a wee bit fascist.

We can go back to the war - why were soldiers allowed to smoke? Surely that wasn't an 'essential' - yet they were allowed to do it. Could it be because they were stressed?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 26 Oct 2020 20:20

I’m with you Sharron. I’m down to using Taylor’s tea bags which I still find better than other brands of loose tea.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Oct 2020 22:19

I was wondering about buying tea bags and opening them because I can taste tea bags.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2020 22:39

I believe PG tips now do plastic free tea bags.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Oct 2020 22:41

They still taste of tea bag, bleh!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2020 22:53

I expect so :-D :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Oct 2020 09:25

I think the management of Tescos in Wales ( are there other supermarkets?) needs investigating as it is now claimed they refused to sell baby milk.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 Oct 2020 10:11

Yes Namelessone :-D

We have Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl, Co-op, to name but a few.

We also have electricity, gas and have had a mains water supply for many years too ;-) ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Oct 2020 10:17

Can't get a bag of coal anywhere!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 Oct 2020 10:20

Well the mines closed in Wales Sharron :-D ...maybe China? ;-) :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Oct 2020 11:33

Jemima :-D

And it would appear they all have better management.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 Oct 2020 11:42

:-D :-D :-D

Kuros

Kuros Report 27 Oct 2020 14:15

If you examined the official figures, you will see that we were nowhere near the critical bed capacity when our esteemed leader made his speech last week. It's scaremongering - again! Lockdowns do not work, as soon as we're out the numbers go up again as they are bound to. The attitude here in Wales seems to be if something isn't working, let's keep doing it and if you're in a hole, keep digging! People are getting angry and with good cause.

Annie