General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CLOCKS BACK ONE HOUR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Oct 2020 06:49

Did you change your clocks last night?

We should have got an extra hour in bed - must remember to explain matters to our dog. She decided to come and wake me for her morning walk - she was an hour early, she's still on BST :-(

Have a good Sunday everyone

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 25 Oct 2020 07:11

Good Morning Pat.

London calling!

I did the clocks and my mobile phone last night.

Did I benefit from the extra hour?

Nah! Still bleary eyed and sleepy!

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Oct 2020 07:13

Morning Elizabeth <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 25 Oct 2020 07:25

Good morning, lovely lady!

I have never understood why the clocks go back
and then forwards in the spring.

It gets darker in the afternoons, sometimes by about 4-00pm
but it is supposed to get lighter in the morning.

The one thing I do love is being able to snuggle up into my bed at night.
I am very lucky.

Take gentle care,
Your mate
Elizabeth, EOS

:-) :-) :-D :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Oct 2020 07:34

Think it was in WW1 when it started, I know it became 2 hrs and double summertime in WW2.

It's all about using daylight because of the long daylight hours in UK.

I remember they stopped doing it in the late 1960s but returned to it in the early 1970s.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Oct 2020 07:38

I believe northern farmers and Scots with schoolchildren were not happy about the situation.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Oct 2020 07:59

No, we don't believe in it here :-P

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Oct 2020 08:04

In WA, Allan but the clocks changed in Vic when we lived there - as far as I know, they still do.

BrianW

BrianW Report 25 Oct 2020 08:30

I really hate changing the clocks. Some are radio controlled and change automatically but there are plenty that don't, plus timeswitches and watches.

I would prefer to stay on GMT the whole year round, that is the natural time for our longitude and is what we were on for centuries before WW1.

When I was motorcycling up to London every day, the start of winter time meant the roads were lighter and less frosty, and therefore safer, when I left home.

Staying on GMT might also encourage some businesses to start earlier and not slavishly follow 9 to 5 thus spreading the "rush hour" and reducing congestion, pollution and crowding.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Oct 2020 08:41

A clock wastes no time.

Calling time on the traditional clock? One in seven Britons can only tell the time using a DIGITAL watch.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Oct 2020 09:42

Yes, JoyLouise, but VIC also has lockdown

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Oct 2020 10:22

I know - no travelling more than 5 miles/km (not sure which, Allan). Our good friends who live further than that from shops are slightly fed-up. Luckily they live in walking distance of a lovely little safe harbour as well as having several acres to occupy their time - and from the photos they've emailed their acres show a lot of time spent there. Looks great!

Aren't they due to be released from lockdown soon?

My pal north of Perth tells me that she has a granddtr stuck in Vic so can't get home. Luckily, her OH's job in WA is being held open for him. Clearly, he has a compassionate employer.