General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Music

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Oct 2020 18:05

Listening to an original Led Zeppelin album and the price is still on it. It cost 43 shillings in 1968.

Mr Owl was born in 1982 and I was born in 1984 so we’re now debating which parent it came from.

Any other Led Zeppelin fans out there? What were others listening to in the 1960s?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Oct 2020 18:16

Their certainly are Tawny, Both my OH and I have every single album between us :-D :-D
I was listening to a lot of strange American imports along with the Rolling Stones and any Rock music I could find in the 60s :-D.

I still love rock and metal now much to OH's horror :-D :-D :-D he thinks I should of outgrown it by now

My number one favourite for blasting out is Queen and I have every cd and dvd :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Oct 2020 18:38

I think we have most of Queen on vinyl. We also have a lot of Uriah Heap and Pink Floyd.

We also have all of Mumford and Sons and Oasis on vinyl. A new record player was what we bought with our wedding money.

Having parents who were all born in the 50s means we inherited a massive vinyl collection approaching 1000 vinyls. We have also added to it ourselves buying two vinyl a month.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Oct 2020 18:44

I was born in 1952 but had completely different tastes from the rest of my family :-D.

I still have loads of my old vinyl including The Crazy World of Arthur Brown,Pink Floyd, Tyranosurus Rex before Marc Bolan formed T Rex, now they were strange

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Oct 2020 19:00

Lee Kerslake, drummer with Uriah Heap, d. 19 Sep 2020.

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Oct 2020 19:08

I think he’d been ill for a while. He gave up drumming with them around 2007. If I remember rightly only one original member still tours now.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Oct 2020 20:03

I guess you mean Mike Box.
The original name of Uriah Heep was "the Gods".

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Oct 2020 08:11

I inherited my parents' collection - Mario Lanza and earlier.

I've only played one or two and that was years ago but I can't bear to part with them.

My kids will inherit them along with the likes of Eddie Cochran but I think they'll not keep all of them.

Same but worse with the books as I have some of my Grandmother's too.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2020 12:42

Ah dem 60s real guitar riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuCq0AkZsKY

so get your Les Paul out of the cupboard, hook it up to a Marshall amp and play these classic riffs. Alternatively they are all available on vinyl.

Vinyl will always sound more alive than any digital sound because it does a much better job of preserving tonal colors. Beware! That usually does not apply to "remastered CDs". Most people can easily tell the difference between live music and the best of recordings. That is why a good band can fill anywhere from your local pub to Hyde Park.

The lack of live music is driving everybody nuts and the music industry is going bust. There is always hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBLHkmBKDg

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Oct 2020 13:03

Great - that first youtube pointer, Rollo.

Also a lovely reminder of my brother who plays in a 60s music group of the local U3A he is in. Although we speak often, I do miss chatting face to face with him; he has a dry sense of humour. <3

Tawny

Tawny Report 25 Oct 2020 16:45

It was Mick Box I was referring to Rollo. Nothing beats vinyl for listening to music at home. Our speakers are originals from 1980 which was the year Mr Owls parents got married and as his dad died of cancer in 1983 he likes still having something of his dads.