General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting back to Covid...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 20 Oct 2020 16:59

... a quick search of the internet reveals that approximately 75,000 people in the UK die from smoking related diseases. (NHS statistics) every year. Smoking tobacco is abomination... discuss. I bet you were all wondering where I was, wern't you?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Oct 2020 17:23

In a town called Asbestos?

I don’t mind if someone smokes - just don’t inflict it on me.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 18:05

That was just how I always felt.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Oct 2020 18:19

I hate when some people become strongly against smoking, saying it’s disgusting, smelly etc but they have just given it up.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 18:22

But it is and I haven't. I always hated smoke and was never eve tempted by it.

In fact it was always one of those things about being grown up that I was not looking forward to.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2020 18:29

Smoking is awful and like others can't stand it if I'm exposed to it. As a child I was exposed now no one can smoke in my house even in winter. Hate walking down the street following a smoker.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Oct 2020 19:09

I gave up about 10 years ago and saved the money I would have spend on them to go towards my first trip to Australia to meet relatives for the first time, the ones I smoked were £4.00 a packet, I don’t mind the smell of someone smoking but don’t like the stale smell.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2020 19:26

Have to admit, I smoke roll-ups (how classy am I? :-D).
I can't stand the smell of ready made cigarettes (which I've never smoked)
Roll ups don't make your clothes smell, and if you put them half-smoked in an ashtray, they don't sit there smouldering, and polluting the atmosphere - they go out.

I never smoke in other peoples houses, and if non-smokers (or the grandchildren) come around to my house, I go outside to smoke.

Edit: There's also a problem sorting out those whose death can be attributed to smoking, and those who smoked, but were killed by pollution, as the effects are similar.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2020 19:31

I suppose it depends on what you put in the roll-ups Maggie :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2020 19:50

Nowadays, just tobacco, Caroline! :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2020 19:56

:-D :-D Quite legal here to be otherwise Maggie

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2020 19:59

I have walked down the road, smelled really pongy skunk, and pointed out to the lads smoking it, how obvious it is, and they would be better off in the park. :-D
I love being old, with silver hair - the look on their faces is priceless :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2020 21:40

Our problem now is working out whether it is a skunk or someone smoking.....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2020 21:53

:-D :-D :-D :-D