General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Next year

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2020 13:49

One of our old biddies had a grandfather who was a music hall artist, Fred Elon,ad I have found him under his real name and, indeed, her mother, on the 1911 census for her.

I can remember excitedly waiting for the local record office to take delivery of the 1881 census and buying raffle tickets and things for it.

The next one is going to show some very interesting things which others have not. The 1911 census shows a country before the first world war ad this next one will show the country afterwards, which will be interesting. Southampton will provide some very edifying comparisons too. There were a lot of Southampton people crewing the Titanic. That will show some interesting comparisons I am sure.

Bring it on!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2020 14:24

My daughter and I once visited the very small museum in West End Southampton Sharron. There was a lot there then regarding the Titanic. It was a lovely little museum run by volunteers I think I wonder if it has survived Covid.

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2020 14:28

I have always wondered, and been too idle to find out, what the effect of the Titanic must have had upon the Poor Law system in Southampton. Many, many households, particularly down the Bevois Valley I believe, with no main breadwinner.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2020 07:49

One of my g grandads had a house in Albert Road, Chapel, Southampton, which stayed in the family until WWII, when my grandparents and mother were evacuated due to bomb damage.
At least 3 people from that road were crew on the Titanic.
Somewhere upstairs, I have a commemorative 'book' about the Titanic, probably from 2012, and possibly issued by the Daily Echo.
Another g grandad was a ship's steward on the White Star Line, but, fortunately, didn't go on the Titanic.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2020 13:11

A lot of the economy of Southampton depended on maritime trade.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2020 14:14

It did. Gg grandad was a Master Mariner, g grandad was a mariner, and grandad worked in the docks! :-D (he also served on merchant ships during WWI)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Oct 2020 14:39

My family lived in the docks area there too.
G Grandfather was an engine smith and died of typhoid aged 33.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Oct 2020 17:57

The place I connect with the Titanic is Halifax, Nova Scotia, where some survivors and many dead were put on shore.

There is a huge display in the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic there, and there are 150 dead buried in 3 cemeteries. We used to drive past one of those cemeteries quite regularly, and the section devoted to the Titanic victims was quite close to the road.

Less than 350 bodies were recovered, and of those about 209 were taken to Halifax.

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2020 19:15

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-17535757

Many families in Southampton suffered.

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2020 19:16

Annie was the museum near the docks in an old stone building by any chance?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2020 11:07

The Wool House - now a pub - used to be the (free) Titanic museum in Southampton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wool_House

It's been re-located to the SeaCity Museum by the Civic Centre.

https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/tickets-opening-times

I haven't been there yet.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2020 11:31

That's what I was thinking Maggie but couldn't remember if last time I went there'd been lots on the Titanic or not.