General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Oct 2020 11:39

A good chunk of Trump's "base" of anti-vaxxers, survivalists, ProudBoys, birthers etc believe this:

https://www.indy100.com/article/flat-earth-conspiracy-theorist-connor-murphy-interview-edge-fall-off-puzzling-space-solar-system-8251466

It is the sort of logic that can be used in all sorts of interesting ways such as covid. Maybe Trump, fuelled by his current regimen of unproven drugs, will make a surprise recovery next week. He wiould then be able to claim that covid-19 is indeed a hoax.

Maybe he never had corvid-19 in the first place. Lots of people have antibodies without the disease.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Oct 2020 12:30

It's still frightening that he may yet win another term in office.

I really think that Biden ought to have stepped aside in favour of someone younger. He appeared to be a little doddery when I saw him walking on telly recently.

Too much of a blow for the ego perhaps and not enough regard for the nation?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Oct 2020 18:16

JoyL .................

who else did the Democrats have who had the name recognition??

I really can't think of anyone who would have captured the nation's attention who said they were interested. There were a couple who might well have a chance next time around, but each of them had baggage ......... eg, being gay, Jewish, Mexican ancestry, etc. Let's not even mention being a woman!

The Dems may have been somewhat willing, after all they went wholeheartedly behind Obama, but not the mass of white Americans ................. they'll take a long time to accept anyone else who is not WASP-ish. Those who support Trump would never dream of supporting anyone who didn't fit their idea.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Oct 2020 23:23

Sylvia, I have no idea who was thought to be in the running at the outset but I was very surprised at how faltering Biden's walk was on one particular occasion. I realise he does not think with his legs (nor did FDR) but, in his seventy eighth year it makes me wonder whether he was elected to lead the party because many thought 'it was his turn.'

Biden's deputy, Kamala Harris, appears to have decent credentials though.

It will be interesting to see how the vote goes.

One to watch in the future, if he ever throws his hat in the ring, is Andrew Cuomo, I think. He may also be the man for any Americans who still revere the Kennedy name - not that it would sway me.