General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

South of the border

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Sep 2020 12:01

Contracts with US firms are being signed off thick n fast.
Maybe you remember the ructions over seperating families from their children which was a bit too much even for Melania Trump.

Well it was just the thing for Priti Patel.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/17/uk-awards-border-contract-to-firm-criticised-over-role-in-us-deportations

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Sep 2020 13:37

Isn't it strange to see yet another overseas 'leader in ....' (their particular field) that the government propose using. It seems to be a 'catch-all' description to assuage doubters - remember 'leader in health services' etc.

As we sign into another American 'product' this time we could be in the mire if Trump is returned because he may well be be no fan of Thiel after comments made.

Interesting to see that a 'border impact centre' is being created. My first thought was 'is Patel building an empire?'

Overall, I'd say that Boris is creating more ties with the US. Is he hedging his bets against increasing EU animosity or is it perhaps the family way? I can't help asking myself who is expecting lucrative earnings via US services when our current government's term ends.

I wish we had more transparent governance.