General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Our daughter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Sep 2020 15:58

It’s now 14 years since she got the all clear from Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Since then her son married and the youngest great grandchild was born

She has been left with peripheral nerve damage to her fingers and toes from one of the chemicals that were transfused but the cocktail of drugs did kill off the cancer

Hubby and I would make a very early start every other Friday to take her to Canterbury hospital for her chemo. Hubby would wait in the waiting room and I sat with her as the transfusions were done
We wouid banter and sometimes be a bit noisy but most times it would lift the sad atmosphere in the area and you could see other patients relax and seem more positive

So on the 15th she celebrates her 62nd birthday and it’s a very special time for all the
family

I so remember being pregnant and huge!
Being in hospital for a month ,two weeks before she was born and two weeks after

Remember thinking I wouid never see the outside world again !

That said she was a big baby and yes at 8lbs 1 oz was a good weight but I carried so much water. I was huge so the weight was a but disappointing as I was 9lbs 7oz born so thought the baby wouid be a 9 pounder too

But she is now a mum ,stepmom and grandmother and we have so much to be thankfull for

Saturday I am going to her birthday dinner in Dover with her hubby stepson and two work colleagues who she is friends with

All of us have been self isolating

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2020 16:14

Every birthday is a bonus.

(Dover has obviously changed, it wasn’t somewhere to go out to dinner when I lived in the area)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Sep 2020 16:25

She lives in Hawkinge near Folkestone

There is a really good restaurant called Dinos in Dover that is an Italian restaurant

It’s an Italian restaurant family run and we have been there several times

Mama Dino did all the cooking and later in the evening would come into the restaurant to greet diners

Sadly she passed two years ago but the restaurant is still open

The food is excellent and big portions so difficult to eat a full meal

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2020 16:51

Confession- we left about 34 years ago after living in the area for about 14 years.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Sep 2020 17:26

You and your daughter have supported one another through some tough times, so it is lovely that you are able to look forward to celebrating her birthday together.

Hawkinge has grown so much since we have lived Kent. I know a lot of people who live there now.

Enjoy your meal.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Sep 2020 18:34

Have a wonderful time, Shirley. <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 8 Sep 2020 20:10

For Shirley <3

Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx