General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question regarding adoption from birth.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 7 Sep 2020 04:29

Hi all, I've tried researching but can not find a definitive answer.

If a mother gives birth in hospital and it is decided by the local authorities/social services that she can not cope with the child (in particular, the child is born with disabilities) and is taken for adoption - can the birth mother still register the birth? If not, who registers the childs birth? Said adoption would have taken place early 1980's

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Sep 2020 04:42

https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/who-can-register-a-birth

I think a parent would generally be the person to register the child's birth, but as shown on the above link, others may do so.

So, yes a mother can register the birth of a child, who is to be adopted.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Sep 2020 08:01

I had my sons in the 1970's and at that time the registrar used to visit the hospital regularly and you would register the child at the hospital.

I would imagine that if the mother was allowed to keep the baby with her while she was in hospital then she would register the birth but if the baby was taken from her immediately after the birth then someone at the hospital might do it.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Sep 2020 08:12

Not sure what your enquiry is about but would just say whoever registered the birth it would still be in the mums surname

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Sep 2020 12:26

Samantha, are you asking who would register the birth of a child born to someone who is ill and/or incapable of registering the birth and who has no known relatives?

I feel that in extreme cases like that there will be a clause in the act that passes responsibility to the hospital almoner (as they were) or the person with particular responsibility for the incapable mother. The child, of course, will still be registered in the mother's surname.

I have a feeling (only a feeling) that when the child is adopted he/she is re-registered in the names of the adoptive parents - so effectively registered twice. ..... but I am sure there will be someone on here who knows more about adoptions than I do.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Sep 2020 14:04

You are right Joy, the birth is re-registered in the adoptive parents name with a first name of their choice, but the adoptive register is not available for the public to see. Only the adoptive person can access their adoption file when they are 18 and after counselling.

If Samantha knows the mother's name and when the birth occurred then she should be able to find the original birth registration but that will not help with finding the new name of the child. The original certificate will have "adopted" written on the side of the certificate.

Kath. x

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 7 Sep 2020 20:55

Hi,
The birth mother would register the birth (unless circumstances dictate), I believe the birth cert is given to who ever dealing with adoption, might have changed.