General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My £157 demand has arrived....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Aug 2020 10:24

with a nearly full set of instructions.....

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Aug 2020 14:09

LOl for what exactly Bob?

Florence in the hebrides

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2020 14:23

I'm guessing it's for a TV Licence :-) :-)

Kath. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Aug 2020 16:37

For UK residents you only need a TV licence if you watchelive TV on any device - tv, computer, smartphone, tablet etc. or an analog device such as a sky dish. Live means watched at the time of transmission. An old episode of Dr Who counts as "live" if it is in the BBC program guide for the day.

You don't need a TV licence to watch saved programs inc old programs save on iPlayer.

Sky Q Player and Virgin Media V6 allow storing up to 6 channels concurrently. But beware if any of thse recordings include a live channel then you have tripped the wire and need a TV licence. If you leave the TV or QPlayer/VB6 Player on and they pick up a "live" program by accident then again the wire is tripped.

Whether or not you have accessed a live channel can be determined from your isp connection record which is conveniently stored by the ISP for a year. Using a VPN might help with this but equally may result in no connection.

So, it can done but it is a tight call to save under £ 4 / week.

"The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest [number] of feathers with the least possible amount of hissing."

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Aug 2020 17:11

Yes Kathleen ,

Florence, the Tv Licence..
you know, I don't really object to paying for the licence,

which basically is for the privilige of operating a radio/tv receiving station....

but what does get up my nose is the increasing trend for Advertising up and coming programs, many of which I don't have access for.(or interest).

programs which used to be say an hour long, are now padded out every 10 minutes with around ten minutes of advertising, Silent witness for example as a "feature length" is upto 2 and a half hours long