General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PC Harper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Aug 2020 16:20

Whilst his widow and his mother take different routes to changing the law, two of his killers are to appeal their sentences.

Speechless.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Aug 2020 16:22

P.C. Wombwell's wife didn't have much luck did she?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Aug 2020 16:41

But it's always worth trying. In our area the wonderful Ann Ming campaigned tirelessly to reform the "double jeopardy" law so that she could get justice for her daughter who was killed by a local man.

It took her many years but she finally got the law changed and he was tried again and found guilty.

Kath. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Aug 2020 17:03

If a convicted person appeals against sentence they run the risk of the sentence being increased. The maximum sentence for manslaughter in England is life. Moroever release at some future date would be contingent on admitting guilt and credible remorse.

IMHO if the DPP cannot get a murder conviction in such a case then they need a new boss and some QCs worthy of the name.

Besides being unjust such a sentence puts everyboidy at risk, serious risk in some parts of the UK. Sentencing guidelines include deterrence as well as the case per se.

Why is the Crown not appealing?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Aug 2020 04:10

Our crazy justice system!

Lizx

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Aug 2020 09:02

It is vital that justice is administered in some form, evenly and fairly for all.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Aug 2020 12:30

Why would the Crown go to the expense of appealing when an appeal has been made by the accused?

The sentence will be re-examined anyway.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Aug 2020 23:50

IMHO you can’t accidentally take a life in some circumstances and if you commit a crime and someone s killed as a consequence of a crime then it surely must be murder, after all if you weren’t there to commit a crime then no one would have died.
Just my opinion, don’t shoot me for having it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2020 08:58

I agree with you wholeheartedly ZZzzz.

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 21 Aug 2020 12:36

case now referred to the court of appeal, maybe their sentence will be upped

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2020 16:11

Just what I was thinking, Maddie. When I heard they had appealed for shorter sentencing I thought it woud be the ideal time for the arbiter/judge to increase their sentences. It has been done once before that I can recall.,

Dermot - tut tut tut What on earth did you write? :-S

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Aug 2020 16:53

It looks like the Attorney General has reviewed the case and has referred it to the Court of Appeal as she considered the sentences to be "unduly lenient". The Judge had said that youth had been a mitigating factor and that was why he reduced their sentences. Hmmmm!