General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 19 Aug 2020 10:08

Hi everyone. Can someone please help me find Census records for later years than 1911. I need to find census records for the 1950's but don't seem to be able to find reliable information.
Any guidance gratefully appreciated.
Louise.

Island

Island Report 19 Aug 2020 10:25

No census records are available for public view after 1911 due to 100 year closure rule. 1921 will be released in 2022 on a pay to view basis.
The most recent hosuehold listings are the 1939 civil registration records taken prior to the outbreak of WW2.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Aug 2020 10:53

The best you can hope to find is electoral records. If you live in the area you are interested in then you can check the electoral registers at your local library (if they are open as some are still closed because of Covid 19). They are only searchable by address.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Aug 2020 11:50

Welcome to the boards Louise.

After the release of the 2021 census, there won't be another until 2051 at the earliest.

The 1931 census was destroyed during WW2 and there wasn't one taken in 1941 because of the war.

You can read what the 1939 register is about here -
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register

If you'd like some help tracking someone down and don't have access to Find My Past or Ancestry, post on the Find Ancestors Board here at Genes and someone will try to help.

Give as much information about them as you know already to help us help you ie - full name, age of better still DOB, names of parents and siblings and where in the country you might expect to find them (Scotland not available).

Louise

Louise Report 19 Aug 2020 19:01

Thank you guys, at least I now know i'm not going mad, or just not looking hard enough! lol.
Many thanks for all your responses, very much appreciated.
Louise. :-)