General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cats after lockdown

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2020 12:16

I've probably been out for an hour, twice a week since the 'lockdown'.
Since being home, my cats, who before the pandemic were used to being fed wet food before I left for work, and when I came home, (about 5.30pm) have been demanding food at 4pm.
Since the weather has heated up, I tend to feed them little and often. They have dry food and water available all the time

On Monday, I went out for the whole day - from 10.30am to about 8pm.
First thing I did when I got home was feed the cats wet food.
George, who spends his time outside, wouldn't come in initially, and when he did, he walked to his food, glaring at me.
Betty gave a couple of her 'I'm going to bring up a hairball' howls (something she's 'developed' over the past few months, as it usually gets attention - me following her around, Dettol spray and kitchen towel in hand), before running to the food bowl.

They ate.
George went out, Betty went back to her latest 'perch' - the table.

Half an hour later, Betty started howling. I rushed over, prepared with dettol etc, and tried to persuade her to go out. As usual, she didn't.
Instead, she went under the table - and pood!! :-| :-|

Cleaned it up - rest of the evening was quiet - though Betty howled a few times.
Fed them a bit extra before I went to bed.

About half an hour after going to bed, I heard Betty howl.
Went down to check - she was okay. Went back to bed.
15 minutes later she howled again - another check, gave extra kisses etc etc
15 minutes later - another howl. At this point, I just shouted 'Shut up' and all was quiet for the rest of the night. :-D

Since then, no 'hairball howls', through the night, no pooing indoors, George has become pleasant again.
Were they teaching me a 'lesson'?

Betty and George are 14, so I'm aware they may be getting age related problems.
No-one mentioned manipulation of the highest order!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Aug 2020 12:26

Since moving into lockdown, we've changed to Summer Time, so their timing for their teatime wet food is not far out.

Are they trying it on?
Yes !

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Aug 2020 12:28

Well Maggie as we all get older, they say we turn into grumpy old men/women!
Quite hilarious though making you get up and down to see to them. :-D :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2020 12:32

I said I feed them at 4pm - their demand for food starts at 2pm!
Betty runs to the kitchen, every time I stand up.
George comes in and walks along my keyboard :-| :-| :-|

I know it's a demand for food, because If I feed him - he's straight out - no 'cuddles'.
If I don't feed him, just constantly remove him from the keyboard, after about the 3rd time, he goes out - he doesn't get on my lap for a cuddle.

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Aug 2020 13:22

You HAVE taken a long time to train properly.

Daddy, who is much easier to train than that woman, is currently being taught to give a few 'sweeties' to get Jacky in at night.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Aug 2020 13:30

Maggie/ Sharron

:-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2020 13:49

Florence - not so much old and grumpy - more like difficult teenagers! :-(

Sharron, George normally sleeps on my bed, but where it's so hot, he's staying outside, sheltering in one of the many crevices between the overgrown shrubs.
He's also found a large flat stone that, when it's in the shade, is lovely and cool.
Unfortunately for him, it's by the bin, and the 'other side' of the 6ft high gate to the back garden (which opens towards this stone).
I accidently 'shunted' him along the stone with the gate, yesterday :-(
.....if looks could kill.....

George comes onto my bed at about 5am. His preferred time for food at the moment. He informs me of this by whacking my face, sitting on it, or threatening to do his 'I'm really happy, I'm going to claw my way around your body' act. Normally, with a duvet on, the 'claw' act doesn't bother me, but with just a sheet over me, it could be very painful!

My cats shun 'treats', and can't be bribed. They know certain rules exist, but these can be 'negotiated' - ie ignored.
They also have a cat flap, and keeping George in against his will would probably lead to mass destruction of the kitchen, and the constant bothering of me!!

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Aug 2020 14:41

Last night we put our 10 month old (today) Guide Dog puppy in the dining room to go to bed as usual.
We went to bed.
Five minutes later he barked.
Went down and let him into the garden to seeif he wanted to toilet.
No.
Him back into the dining room.
Us back to bed.
A few minutes later he barked again.
Out with him.
Nothing.
Him back to bed.
Us back to bed.
He barked.
Ignored him.
No more barking.
Maybe he heard thunder in the distance but it was unusual behaviour for him.

I usually spend a little time with him watching TV but last night I was working on a family tree for a friend so on the other hand it might have been a change of routine.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2020 15:02

Aww, Brian - he's only a baby. <3

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Aug 2020 16:27

What happened Brian? Last I heard you were having to switch from Guide Dogs to Assistance Dogs and having to learn a whole new set of training rules.

Island

Island Report 13 Aug 2020 16:38

Our hound has become Little Lord DogLeroy since lockdown. We don't mind, he's kept us amused :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Aug 2020 16:43

Hi Andysmum,
It was the other way round, we were with Canine Partners (disabled assistance dogs) and switched to Guide Dogs when CP had to close the Essex training facility due to lack of volunteers.
Our first GD was Windsor from mid October 2018 who has been in Belgium since early January 2020, and is coming up for his partnership assessment next month to boost GD numbers over there.
We got Lemar in mid December 2019 and training is just about recommencing provided Covid-19 doesn't resurge.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Aug 2020 04:45

Since my son and his fiancee have been working from home, with her son off school, Jeremy cat has loved all the company and attention. When things finally get back to 'normal' he will miss them terribly. He is a Devon Rex and an indoor cat, so won't have the company he's become used to.

Hopefully they can arrange to work from home part of the time so he doesn't have to go 'cold turkey'.

Lizxx