General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A new place to visit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jul 2020 17:42

I have my grandson with me this week to give daughter a break and him to have a change of scenery

He has struggled being at home as a lad with learning difficulties and needs to have a structured day

I collected him last Friday and we have ticked over with him having access to my pc and printer

Today we just had to get out so took a packed lunch and made our way to the Riverside Country park in Gillingham Kent

It’s my local area but never visited before because hubby and I weren’t into visiting

Great place .lots of picnic places and benches to sit on
A big shop area only open for take away at the moment

Was packed with cars but everyone distancing and lots having picnic lunches

We took our own too and sat and ate it but also watching folks walking in family groups and dogs being exercising

We didn’t do too much walking cos my back doesn’t like it but with tide out many were walking a long way out

Can’t believe we have never visited this before but tbh hubby wasn’t up to it in his later years

Full marks to medway council for opening this area

WikipediaOpen Wikipedia
Riverside Country Park is a large coastal public park, situated alongside the River Medway estuary between Gillingham and Rainham. The park covers about 100 hectares - approximately 247 acres. There are a variety of natural habitats within the park, including mudflats and salt marsh, ponds and reed-beds, grassland and scrub, which provide a haven for wildlife.

Tbh I was impressed with the area and how many local folks and families were using it

We will certainly go again

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jul 2020 18:29

It's amazing how we don't visit our own doorstep, isn't it?
I've lived here for 30 years - and am still seeing new things - not necessarily 'tourist' type things, just small things.
Actually, it was only about 4 years ago that I learnt there were 2 children's playgrounds where I live - one is near me, the other is behind a huge hedge 2 roads away! My children knew, but never told me.

When my daughters were children, we'd walk around town finding coal holes in the pavement, interesting rain hoppers, filled in windows - all sorts of bits & bobs that are normally ignored.
For a few months, my youngest and I worked in the same building. We walked to work together - and still played the same game, but 'upped the ante' - we looked for things like bench marks, or the non-flint stones in a flint wall (she has a degree in geology).
I lived in the New Forest for 6 years - but still go there and find new things.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jul 2020 01:13

Shirley,
I'm glad that you and your grandson found somewhere interesting to visit. Next time you will probably notice even something more to see there.It sounds a good place to go for you both.

Maggie,

Your post reminded me so much of when my grandson was young and we used to spot coal holes, foot scrapers and other old street features, after he was given an I-Spy book.
I can't now visit somewhere like Canterbury or Rye and NOT notice these features.