General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2020 17:34

Today, July 1st, is Canada's 153rd birthday.

It is, as is everything else in this year, a very strange celebration.

No huge crowds celebrating together with music, food, and fireworks in the evening in every city, town and village, no large Citizenship Ceremonies in places across Canada, no ..................... nothing, in real life.

Everything is being done "virtually".

Ah well, 'tis what it is

Happy Canada Day, Canadians, wherever you are!!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 1 Jul 2020 20:05

I am sure you can still raise a glass Sylvia :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Jul 2020 21:11

Happy Canada Day to Canadians everywhere, including the Canadian branch of my family in Toronto.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jul 2020 17:28

Oh yes, Linda!!

I think it turned out to be one of, if not THE, coldest July 1st here in BC.

Thank you Vera.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jul 2020 14:54

I don't know what happened...if anything... about the annual service of Remembrance on Canada Day at Shorncliffe Military Cemetery near Folkestone, but I visited the cemetery today and noticed that all the graves of the many Canadians had little posies of flowers by the headstones.
I doubt that the schools would have taken the children there in these strange times, but someone made sure that those servicemen buried so far from their homes were not forgotten.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2020 17:30

Gwyn ...............

we didn't hear much this year about happenings such as the one at Shorncliffe.

There were small events at Canadian cemeteries, with just a few military or ex-military, well spaced out.

It was nice to hear that there were flowers put by the headstones, but again, no mention of flowers. Although our schools do generally end their school year around June 25th.

Thank you.