General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Big Adventure

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Jun 2020 12:00

Having been in shielding since March and have only once ventured out to get those antibiotics for OH but we have another big outing to plan now.

For reasons I can't explain and really would rather not think about, OH, in his wisdom, pulled up one of our rhubarb crowns, even after, or maybe because, I told him not to.

Anyway, a woman up the road has rhubarb that has gone mad this year and she can't keep up with it so we have arranged that we will have some and maybe even deliver some to one of our old biddies who loves it.

The woman will pull the rhubarb and leave it in a bag by he front gate, nobody steal rhubarb, and we will come along in the car to pick it up. Some will be decanted into another bag so that we can play Knock Down Ginger with the biddy. Out of car, bag on step, knock on knocker and leg it back to car.

There, that is what I have to look forward to with great excitement now.

What next I ask myself!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2020 15:09

I just love it when my daughter, or one of my 'sons in law' rings my doorbell and runs off! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jun 2020 17:04

Back from my adventure!

I was really quite excited about going, perhaps not quite down to wondering what to wear but I wish OH had been!

We picked up the rhubarb in its carrier bag at the end of the drive and put some in another bag for our old biddy. OH elected to play 'Knock Down Ginger', which meant I ould see him from a distance, which I never normally do.

Oh, dear, did he look a heap? He was wearing the clothes he has been gardening in and looked like he had been living rough, it was bloody filthy. He looked a mobile heap and the village broadcaster lives next door to our biddy.

Looks like we haven't been coping with shielding very well then!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Jun 2020 19:18

I had a food delivery at lunchtime and there were a few items for Dtr. I have been ringing her and leaving her things on the doorstep or in the front porch and one of them has usually popped down for the goods.

OH and I went into isolation before Boris told us to do so as we thought he was dragging his feet a bit and OH has health issues so we have not left the drive at all. Today, I thought I'll pop along in the car and leave Dtr's things on her doorstep, knock on the door and leg it back to the car.

In the park one family was having a picnic under a tree, there were a handful of people staying at a safe distance from each other but defo no football, cricket or any other game so all well there.

Daughter answered pretty swiftly and we exchanged a few pleasantries before climbing into the car. I also saw the young un and his pooch because they came to the window - one waving and the other wagging.

Then ...I took off and decided to have a little run around the locality just because I was curious.

Around the corner and along the road where there is a lovely view of the cathedral no change there. Down the hill, up the hill and along past a couple of closed pubs and a handful of shops but only one open. Then I got brave (haha) and decided to pop along past Asda Home, Laura Ashley, Sainsburys, etc but did not go as far as Marksys. First car park about two-thirds full and a couple of people in the queue at LA. Driving on to do a u-ee at fhe next roundabout I got my first glimpse of the Sainsburys car park - Wow - it was just about full. There are other shops beyond Sainsburys but there is a big car park in front of them so it looked as though a lot more people than I expected had decided to get out while the weather was warm and carry on with their favourite pastime! It was almost like Christmas!

I returned via another route that took me past the Co-op whose car park was about half-full.

And to top it all off - it rained as I turned into our road.

I was stunned that there were so many cars outside Sainsburys but I know it attracts people from quite a few miles away at Christmas-time and in summer BBQ season so I guess some people are out to have a good weekend and beggar the consequences ..... and everyone else here.

Thoughts of The DC5:

Oh let the sun shine bright on my happy summer home....

Here comes summer,
School is out,
Oh happy days ....

:-0