General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Postal delivery delays

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jun 2020 10:50

Has anyone experienced a delay in receiving post?
I sent 2 cards 10 days ago first class from Scotland to southern England.I did this because I heard post was taking longer. My sil messaged today which is her birthday to say the card had just arrived!!
I sent their anniversary card at the same time and this hasn't arrived yet.

So, my mums birthday is 24th Jun, so I went on Flying Flowers and organised for some flowers to be delivered at their earliest and have sent the card today.
A full 2 weeks before the date.

I know Gatwick is shut so Im guessing all mail goes to Heathrow then to sorting office in crawley?
I also read that there are no Saturday deliveries down South and there are many employees off sick too?

I just didn't realise there was such a big problem but it answers why my Aunty hasn't responded to my weekly letters so prompt. It,s because shes not getting them every week.

Anyone else noticed there was a problem?

The only good thing is,I haven't been receiving any junk mail.....yay;-))

Florence in the Hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jun 2020 11:00

Apart from the loss of Saturdays post we don’t seem to be having too much of a problem.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2020 11:06

Ours seems ok here in Kent

Even parcel post seems to be usual days delivery

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2020 12:21

Ours is bad here. Daughter sent a letter to us over two weeks ago second class, we still have not received it. Other people in the area have said the same. Staff shielding and off sick, no Saturday deliveries. But strangely Amazon deliveries by Royal Mail are arriving on time/early. But they are sent first class I think so maybe it is just second class post that is being held 'somewhere'.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jun 2020 14:37

Yes Ann that's very strange because things we have ordered on Amazon are arriving very quickly.All my letters south are sent first class.

My sil sent a letter from Kent to London and it took nearly 3 weeks!!!

Florence in the hebrides

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jun 2020 14:52

I think it's a bit hit and miss.
I sent a birthday card, 2nd class from Kent to Hampshire in April and it took over a week to arrive.
I sent to the same address last week, I think it was Thursday afternoon, again 2nd class and it arrived yesterday.

We don't receive much personal mail, but other than no Saturday deliveries haven't noticed any delays.
I do see the postman / lady out and about most days.

We've recently started receiving non-requested advertising leaflets again.

Florence,

Is your mail service weather dependant?
It's been rather wild over parts of UK lately.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2020 15:42

mine has just an hour ago arrived in the post.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jun 2020 16:06

Gwyn, it comes on the plane daily and we haven't had any cancelled flights only the ferry last weekend.
Ann glad it arrived in the end

Florence in the hebrides

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Jun 2020 11:01

'Postmen/Women are legally obliged to deliver down to the last letter'. ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2020 11:54

It was grandson Kierans 20th birthday yesterday

I posted a card 1st class on Monday and it’s arrived on Tuesday

This was both Kent to Kent addressees

However his nana and grandad in the midlands posted a card last week and it still hadn’t arrived

Daughter is working from home and self isolating so she did a card online last week specifying when it had to be delivered before and it didn’t arrive

He got 4 cards only and as he is the lad with learning difficulties he was all hyped up for his birthday and couldn’t understand why he hadn’t got cards from people especially from his dad and stepmom .my daughter,

Daughter did book the day off so they FaceTimed lots of family and He was able to speak to family members

They also had a Mac Donald’s delivered for his evening meal because that was want he wanted

He was puzzled why they couldn’t go to macDonalds though and daughter has to keep explaining to him why they couldn’t go out