General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Never have

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2020 23:37

Somebody messaged me last week to ask if I had bought something on e-Bay or Amazon.

This set me to wondering if I am the only person in the world who has never been on e-Bay although I have asked other people to get me a couple of books on Amazon.

I have also never been on Twitter or Snap-Chat or downloaded an app. Actually, I don't really even know what an app is.

Is it worth me having a computer?

Island

Island Report 30 May 2020 23:52

Oh... racy pacey me has bought a couple of things on Amazon but the rest..... eh? what? I don't even take my cyber apron strings on holiday with me.

edit. I know what they are, just choose not to be sucked in. I prefer RL

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 May 2020 00:15

I have bought loads of things on Amazon (my son has Amazon Prime so gets free next day delivery which is really useful when you need something in a hurry).

As for the rest - no never. I don't own a mobile, or a credit card, or even a computer. I just use my son's computer when he's not using it.

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 May 2020 00:18

I refuse to use Amazon.
I've put things on E-bay, but never bought anything.
I'm not on twitter
I am on 'Whatsapp' , (family group) but that's only because my sister forced a smartphone on me, with everything loaded onto it!
Yes, I could do it myself, but she knew I wouldn't. :-\
I still prefer my pay as you go.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2020 03:29

I haven't bought anything from Amazon or e-bay, although daughter bought a couple of things from Amazon as a gift for me.

I have looked on both to either check values of some things or see what they have, but never gone further than that.

I've never been on Twitter or Snap-Chat or any other social media other than FB

We only have a simple flip phone, although it does have the ability to access WiFi, the internet and presumably apps, but I would know how to do anything other than use the phone ............. we only bought it 2 years ago at my insistence that OH have a simple phone to take with him when he goes on his regular evening walks.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 May 2020 08:09

Just yesterday, daughter and I hunted for my basic mobile phone, so that she could make a call from it to keep it activated. It still hasn't used up the money that my friends put on it, when they gifted it to me over 3 years ago.

I personally have not ordered anything on those sites, but have bought through Amazon via my daughter.

Years ago OH and I bought an old bottle on e bay and father-in- law was thrilled to receive an item from his grandfather's mineral water business.
It was also the place where through family I bought a requested birthday present for my husband.

....................Where else was I likely to find a coracle ?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 May 2020 08:11

Gwyn :-D :-D :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 31 May 2020 09:56

I have Amazon Prime and use it constantly. I use EBay as well and have all the social media accounts, although I don’t use most of them very often, only Facebook which I use every day. I am quite a computer literate granny :-D

Island

Island Report 31 May 2020 10:57

ooo Linda, just the person :-D Tell me, is it possible to download WhatsApp to a laptop without a smartypants phone? do you know? :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 May 2020 11:20

I have bought from all over the place and so far, so good.

I am not on Facebook, Twitter nor any other chat thingy, however my family sends me connections so I can look at items/sites they think I'd be interested in. I look but if a look involves joining, I don't look.

I chat with family through a variety of sites such as Whatsapp, FaceTime, Zoom, Skype.

I inherited my smartphone from granddaughter when she updated so I'll only update when either she (or daughter) passes on her 'old' phone to me.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 May 2020 11:24

Island, trying to think! From memory I simply downloaded Whatsapp direct from online to the iPad . Same with Zoom.

Island

Island Report 31 May 2020 11:44

Thanks Joy, I've had a google and it looks far more complicated than Skype which was easy peasy (oops! I do have some social media lol) unless it is just the jargon that is baffling me.

Von

Von Report 31 May 2020 12:08

I too have bought stuff from all sorts of sites online. Being on lock down some of it has been a very useful.

We use facetime and What's app and I find what's app is much easier than Skype. IMHO

We would not have had any food if it had not been for online delivery ;-)

Edit to add that Mr Google says you need a smart phone to download what's app to a laptop Island.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 31 May 2020 12:35

I'm on a family WhatsApp, which has been quite useful. You can use it on a PC but, don't quote me on this, I think you have to be able to pair it with your phone...

Island

Island Report 31 May 2020 12:46

Von and Sheila, thanks. This is what I thought, that you need to go via a smart phone but I'm being told otherwise - not how mind, just that you can :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 May 2020 12:52

Island, just messaged you.

You'll see what I thought was Whatsapp on iPad but son-in-law said Apple only supports the messaging aspect of Whatsapp at the moment - which is still what I think I have on iPad. (Is it Apple iPad you have?)

He is taking another look and will let me know.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 May 2020 14:28

I tried to download whattsapp to my kindle but you cant. Whattsapp allows u to make free phone calls through your wi-fi. but on your smart phone.Not sure about an I pad?Im not on FB, Snap chat, Twitter or Skype.
Cant be done with it.

I have bought lots of things from Amazon, no different to buying from m & S or any other shop online. But I think my dad says if you have an ebay account then when you sell something they take a fee?

Florence in the hebrides