General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Autumn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 18 Apr 2020 23:28

Has well and truly arrived here in WA.

We seem to have had a sudden change from a lingering summer into howling gales.

The rain has been horrendous overnight which meant that I was up at 03.30 strategically placing a couple of buckets under the hall ceiling to catch the drips.:-(

This follows on from yesterday when I cooked a beef and Guinness stew in the slow cooker for today's meal. Did it for six and a half hours; tried the meat and it was fork tender, tried a carrot and it was still basically raw!

Fished out all the carrots and they are now simmering in a pan on the stove.

I'm now waiting for the third event :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2020 00:37

It's truly spring/early summer here ............... only 2 mm rain so far this month in the Lower Mainland (normally almost 90 mm), and much less than normal last month.

So drought beckoning.

With drought comes wild fires ...... season has just begun earlier than normal

Meanwhile, all the inland mountains ......... 6 mountain ranges across the province from west to east .......... received tons more snow than normal over the winter, so the snow packs are way deeper than usual. Melt is coming quickly, and they all feed into rives that eventually end up down here.

Floods follow ........ could be very bad in certain areas.

All of course, overladen by the current "normal" way we're living.

Not sure whether I like our future better than yours or not!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't get #3 .......... wine gone bad??? :-0

Allan

Allan Report 19 Apr 2020 01:02

I couldn't stomach that...pun intended ;-) :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2020 03:33

:-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Apr 2020 04:45

Third event was a double whammy :-S

Even after a very good half hours simmer on the stove top the carrots were still hard and tasteless, so a new batch of prepared.

Decided to reheat the stew in the oven, went to transfer the contents from the inner bowl of the slow cooker into the casserole dish, ninety percent of the stew went in to the dish and the other ten percent was over the top of the stove and myself :-0

OH took over and I went back to doing what I do well .....the glass of red was delicious ;-) :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2020 05:53

oh no!!!

so you think there will be 2 more to follow??

Allan

Allan Report 19 Apr 2020 10:25

Sylvia, I'm now that mellow that I'm not mithered one way or the other ;-) :-D :-D

Kuros

Kuros Report 19 Apr 2020 17:21

The way it's going here autumn will be the first season we see this year.

Annie

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 19 Apr 2020 18:08

This is our first Spring in our new garden. So far, we have at least three pigeon nests, two pairs of blackbirds, and blue tits in a nest box. Robins are nesting nearby, either in our garden or next door. Kites, buzzards, egrets, most of the corvids, including a pair of ravens are all regularly seen. I have no regrets at all about the move.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2020 18:10

Bob ..............

that sounds almost idyllic