General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EasyJet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Mar 2020 15:18

I haven't checked this out, but my next-door neighbour has just told me that EasyJet are taking bookings for next year, to anywhere they fly to, at 10GBP per person. He has booked flights all over the place, on the assumption that some of them will be OK and at that price he won't mind too much if he loses his money.

At 80GBP return for a family of 4 to Florence (where they were meant to be going this year) it is a bargain.

I'm sorry about the GBP, but my pound sign has suddenly decided it's a # and the # is \. This has happened before and next time I use the computer it will have put itself right!!! :-S :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2020 21:41

Andysmum ..........

I haven't hear that rumour, and it wouldn't apply to us anyway .........

but here's a way to get your pound sign. I have to use this all the time as I only have the $ sign on my computer!!

Alt + 1 5 6 = £

That's hold down Alt with your left hand, then using the number pad to the right of your computer and press sequentially 1 5 then 6

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Mar 2020 21:52

Interesting, Sylvia, I also only have the $ sign but I have always used alt 0163 to get the £ sign.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Mar 2020 22:11

Thank you both very much. I have just tried them out and they both work - brilliant. :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Mar 2020 23:50

If your keyboard is supposed to give you the £ and it stopped doing it, what I have to do when mine stops giving me the " and starts giving me the é instead (which makes no sense in the first place) might work. Once it started doing that, it never stops, and I have to do this randomly but regularly.

I googled the problem I was having -- getting é instead of " -- and the solution is to hold down Control and press Shift. You may have to do it more than once.

Just a suggestion in case it works and avoids the extra hassle of using alt keys all the time.

Aha, I just asked google for *keyboard dollar sign instead of pound sign* and one of the answers was for "normal symbols" generally, and it said what I said above there: Cntrl + Shft. Worth a try.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2020 00:09

£

hmmmmmmmmm

Margaret .................. just tried it and yes Alt 0163 also works for me. Interesting!!

I never knew that :-D

Joonie ..... I'm not going to test your suggestion, I don't want to jinx myself!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Mar 2020 02:05

Good idea -- I haven't tried the Cntrl-Shift trick when my keyboard was *not* messing up. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2020 02:23

:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Mar 2020 11:31

Go to Windows ¦ Settings ¦ Language
Choose "add a language" eg English US , French (Canada) ; English UK etc etc
Set whatever you normally use as default.
You will now see a language indicator on the far right of the task bar. Selecting this makes it v easy to change the current language inc back to your default if it trips into another one such as English US instead of English UK.
It also facilitates using other keyboards if you use more than one language. If you don't have a physical keyboard in the other language then Windows has virtual keyboards.
Much the same is true with Android and iOS.
All of the keys can be accessed using Alt+numbers.
These language options have been available since Windows XP.
Some students , aware of this, found it very funny to use the language bar so as to set it for Arabic and other languages which go right to left.