General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

happy supermarkets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 7 Mar 2020 14:01

making a good profit

my friend as usual on a saturday went to do my shopping.
I'm down to last 2 toilet rolls.
He came back and said it was manic out there.
Luckily got 6 loo rolls and the last box of eggs.
Shortage on the shelves of baked beans etc
of course supermarkets won't stop people buying excessive amounts, making too much money
oh well what can we do

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Mar 2020 15:18

Get all your shopping delivered as it comes from the warehouse and not the shops.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Mar 2020 15:21

Doesn’t that depend on who you order from?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Mar 2020 15:56

Asda online shopping comes from the superstore and not the warehouse. I was having a conversation just yesterday with an employee who was filling orders to be delivered. She was checking the dates on some teacakes and I said I thought they would just pick up the first they came too on most fresh products (which is why I have never been keen to order online) but she said no, we have to pick the best dates as they get regular quality checks on what they pick.

Must admit that there seemed to be a shortage of lots of the usual items on the shelves. Absolutely no hand sanitiser and very few wipes of any kind, Not so many veg around either.

Kath. x

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Mar 2020 20:06

What is it they say

'It's an ill wind that blows NOBODY any good'

Allan

Allan Report 7 Mar 2020 21:28

Most goods ordered on-line here (Western Oz) come from the local supermarkets. You can either have them delivered or collect the yourself.

Absolutely no loo paper available, even though all stores are now limiting customers to just four packs.

Queues are forming long before the shops open....crazy times we are living in :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Mar 2020 22:24

Not much loo roll or kitchen towel left in my local Tesco superstore today - and the cat litter was pretty low too :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 Mar 2020 22:58

Before we came away i just bought two weeks shopping tins .pkts rice. pasta & loo rolls dog food .just sensible but not to much but while I was in Sainsbury's one woman came out with 10paks of 6 large bottles of water 4pks each 48 loo rolls in each .what they are doing putting big pks near the doors so customers think oh these will keep we are being conned I think there is enough for every body if folk are sensible it's media hipe leading to panic buying supermarkets deliver we have Tesco Asda a local Cost cutter .Co.op stop spending so much All it does is make the big men richer Barbara.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Mar 2020 23:06

I wonder when people will twig that within the home at least, toilet paper is not, strictly speaking, required.

When on a long journey we try to avoid public toilets, but we do keep a roll of loo paper in the car just in case.

I remember years ago the council I worked for had a spate of toilet paper thefts from all the public loos. It will be interesting to see if history repeats itself :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 Mar 2020 23:20

We are so pampered now suppose though in the years gone by Telegraph news paper cut in squares on a string was used because had bigger sheets :-D ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Mar 2020 23:39

I remember the bucket in the shed, squares of newspaper - and the hornet's nest!
A flushing loo, soft paper and no hornets - civilisation!

Then there was the shed and bucket in Shetland. Why did it have a chimney, that ended in a hole behind the bucket.
Those early morning chats, from the bucket, with the landlady who had come to feed her chickens - housed in upturned rowing boats, just behind the shed.
I mean, who REALLY wants a 'chat' with their landlady whilst having a poo?
..then appearing from shed, wearing an off-white mid calf brushed cotton nightshirt, snorkel jacket, woollen hat and wellies?

Allan

Allan Report 7 Mar 2020 23:40

The amount of money spent by some people on stocking up would have paid for a bidet to be fitted in their bathrooms :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Mar 2020 23:44

That's true!
Somewhere handy to wash your feet! :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Mar 2020 00:35

I like his Operas, particularly 'Carmen' ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Mar 2020 11:07

Allan, is it true that one Qld pub is giving a free loo roll with every bottle of Corona?
:-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Mar 2020 11:13

Your post about a loo roll in the car reminded me - and, yes, it's still in my car. An individually-wrapped small Andrex loo roll made especially for a journey. I must have bought it at least five years ago!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Mar 2020 13:34

And now some supermarkets have begun to ration some foodstuffs!!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Mar 2020 13:53

Obviously the woman I saw at Tesco’s this morning got her shopping before the rationing started.
She had half a large trolley load of iceberg lettuces :-S

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Mar 2020 14:15

tescos have started rationng around here
so glad i got some loo rolls as i am using more. Got a stinking cold, nose is like tap and i need something to mop up the moisture
Apparently baked beans are in short supply even tho tescos have removed the wrap individual cans are now 75p, guess i'll have to self ration :-(

Allan

Allan Report 8 Mar 2020 21:02

JoyLouise, I've not heard that one about the beer, but one Newspaper in the NT has printed an issue which contains eight blank pages for use as loo paper :-D

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/05/australian-newspaper-prints-extra-pages-to-help-out-in-toilet-paper-shortage