General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Natures Light Display

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 26 Feb 2020 21:06

I was woken this morning at 03.00 by a bright flash of lightning far out over the Indian Ocean. I say far out as there was no sound of thunder.

I just sat in bed taking in all the flashes, which were mainly sheet lightning, until just before 04.00.

Quite beautiful, unlike the storm we had yesterday which, while not a natural disaster, very nearly became a domestic one :-0

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Feb 2020 22:18

Domestic one??? what did you do now Allan? :-)

Allan

Allan Report 26 Feb 2020 22:39

OH was out for the day with a friend. They had gone down to Dunsborough, and left me at home making a curry for today's meal

I tend to cook the curry for an hour then turn it off and test the vegies to see if they are cooked. In this instance they were still a little hard so I put the pan back on the stove on the smallest ring but on high.

Then the rain started and it was heavy!

So I rushed around making sure that all the windows were closed, moved shoes from areas of known leaks, and forgot about the curry.

Several minutes later I heard this strange bubbling sound and realised that the curry was now hotter that I had intended (think bout that one ;-))

Turned the gas off and removed the pan from the stove, but the curry still continued to bubble dementedly as though it had a mind of its own.

Fortunately, there was some water in the sink so I plunged the base of the ban in that and the bubbling immediately stopped

However the contents had caught on the bottom of the pan :-(

I'll just have to try and curry favour with my OH :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Feb 2020 03:15

:-D :-D

Well at least she can't be accused of scrabbing the bottom of the barrel with you Allan...who'd scrape the bottom when it's burnt.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Feb 2020 08:19

Lol.

There were times when my children were young and I couldn't afford to waste a meal that had 'caught' that I salvaged what I could into another saucepan and later served it as if nothing had happened.

"Mummy, what's this little brown bit?" was met with 'OH dear, didn't I stir the Oxo in very well?'... and the meal was eaten.

Back to opening post... I love watching all the free displays of nature. Grandson and I would go out waiting to watch shooting stars or a partial eclipse,
My children when young would watch thunderstorms with wonder rather than fear.

Allan

Allan Report 27 Feb 2020 09:23

The curry tasted fine, but the thunder has been rumbling all day and the humidity has been quite oppressive.

Caroline, I always thought that my wife had good taste, but was obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel when she married me :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Feb 2020 17:39

:-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Feb 2020 18:49

I forgot you didn't live in England and was just thinking that that was one helluva flash for you to be able to see it over the Indian Ocean.

Allan

Allan Report 27 Feb 2020 20:48

:-D :-D :-D@Sharron

Light display back on this (early) morning. It was even brighter than previously as we had a power cut so there was no ambient light.

The storms, in various degrees of severity, have now been with us for four days and are set to continue.

You can probably guess that we have a long weekend in WA this weekend. The rest Of Australia has theirs next weekend :-S

I suppose that the week's difference is based on some historical factor about how long it took for communications to reach Perth from the Eastern States ;-) ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Feb 2020 12:49

Allan, I have been using that trick for years, same as you Gwyn and nobody ever really noticed as I had cleaned the pan with the burnt bits and sprayed some air freshener before anyone came into the kitchen for their curry!

I am quite frightened by the lightening if it over us but watching it from a distance can be really spectacular.

Florence in the hebrides

Kuros

Kuros Report 28 Feb 2020 13:42

We woke to nature's display of torrential rain again. Later, we're also to be treated to gale-force winds to accompany it. My snowdrops have drowned.

Annie

Allan

Allan Report 28 Feb 2020 20:59

Kuros, here in Western Australia we have welcomed the rain as it is the first we have had for some time.

Unfortunately, from what I can gather, is that the UK is experiencing severe weather events. This is also the case in the Eastern States of Oz where they went from a period of extreme heat (hence the fires) to severe storms and torrential rains :-(

The weather is really weird :-0