General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The things that were said to you as a child.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Feb 2020 12:16

When carrying a lot of things and I complained my mum would say Donkeys go best well loaded, my mother in law would tell hubby that it is a lazy mans load.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Feb 2020 12:41

If you dawdled over eating something.usually cos you didn’t like it , then mum would say eat up the starving children in Africa would love that

Got a clip round the ear one time , after a look of astonishment, when I cheekily said well send it to em then

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Feb 2020 12:46

My mum used to donate our clothes which were to small to Oxfam and we wondered how they knew who were the same size as us.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Feb 2020 13:01

My Dad said 'Do what you want but keep your nose clean.'

I did and I did. :-D

He also told me that the surname we used was not our real one ... and he was right. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Feb 2020 13:33

My Dad told me that my Nan on mum side married a Mr Fremantle in Australia, no she lived in Fremantle in Australia.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 21 Feb 2020 15:37

Go out with wet hair and catch pneumonia.

Sit on a cold step and get piles.

:-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Feb 2020 16:36

When we had a runny nose my dad always said (there are actions with this - work them out)

See that soldier over there with the red stripe down his trousers.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Feb 2020 17:08

Never heard that one Namelessone. If my Dad asked me to do an errand and I complained he’d say “What’s the matter? Got a bone in your leg?”, and if I came in a bit grubby from playing outside I was, apparently, “as black as Newgate’s knocker”.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Feb 2020 17:26

Shirley I did that with a dinner and got the same :-D :-D :-D. If I had a grumpy face my Dad would say if it's frosty you'll stay like that. :-D :-D. Also if I was being silly jumping about he would say "If you break your leg don't come running to me "

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Feb 2020 17:59

If we had a grumpy face, we were told to stop it or we would make the milk turn sour.

I remember being in infant school and a girl told me that you shouldn't look into a mirror in a darkened room or the reflection would jump out and chase you...... That worried me for years.

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Feb 2020 18:43

This Irish fellow saw a small mirror for sale in a shop window. He was greatly impressed saying to himself “That’s a lovely picture of my deceased father” & so he bought it.

He didn’t tell his wife about the purchase & kept it in his trouser pocket because he knew she didn’t particularly like the old fellow.

During that long winter’s evening, he regularly took out the mirror to admire the lovely picture. But as all wives are, she didn’t miss much.

When eventually the husband went to bed, she searched through his pockets & retrieved the small object.

Looking at it, she exclaimed with a shock: “Ah so - he has started carrying on with another woman - and she doesn’t look much to me”.

She sent for the Parish Priest & instructed him to have some stern words of advice with her wayward husband.

“Show me the picture” said the Parish Priest.

“Ah Mrs - your eyesight must be bad. That’s not a picture of another woman. Sure, isn’t that the Parish Priest who was here before me.” :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Feb 2020 22:34

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Corinthians

Allan

Allan Report 22 Feb 2020 10:17

Sounding Brass

Corinthians