General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Weird, or just Plain Spooky?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 9 Feb 2020 21:20

Got up at my usual time and stumbled downstairs in the dark and very nearly had a heart attack.

The TV and video were both on. No picture or sound on the TV, just a blank screen.

The weird part was that when I turned them off last night the TV was set to a certain channel. I also turned them off at the wall.

This is now the third time over the course of many years such a thing has occurred. :-S

The first time was whilst my daughter was living here and OH and myself were away. We just put it down to here feverish imagination.

The second time that it happened was when my daughter and OH had gone to Queensland for a wedding.

I was woken very early morning by the sound of several men speaking Arabic extremely loudly. When I eventually plucked up the courage to see what was going on, the TV, which I had switched off earlier, was on and showing a film about illegal immigrants who had landed in the North of Western Australia.

Three different times over a period of years, three different TVs and Recorders, but the same wall socket.

Just the icing on the cake, I also noticed with today's manifestation that OH's laptop was also on, although that could have been an oversight on her part.

Having once again turned the TV off at the wall, I'm not game to investigate further until it is light :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 9 Feb 2020 21:22

Scaredy cat :-D :-D ;-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Feb 2020 21:30

Looks like you have had a bad dream or to much of the Red Wine ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Feb 2020 21:32

Electric surge Allan? Difficult to believe but perhaps not impossible if you have a faulty wall socket.

You could try pulling the plugs out of the sockets . That should stop them. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 9 Feb 2020 21:47

Considering that the house is only about thirty years old and we've been here for nearly twenty eight, there have been many weird and wonderful happenings, including a ghost cat which both myself an my daughter have seen on numerous occasions :-S

Nothing nasty or evil, just there.

If I pulled the plug out of the socket, which I do during thunderstorms, and found it back in the socket, the house would be on the market (or even the meerkat) immediately, and I'd be moving into a hotel until the sale had gone through ;-)

No dream, Barbra, and one can never have too much red wine :-D

I'll go along with that description, Mersey, although I prefer 'fey' myself :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2020 22:27

Good word "fey" :-)

Allan

Allan Report 9 Feb 2020 22:44

I'd set up a business as a Medium, but I just don't see any future in it :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Feb 2020 22:49

:-D :-D :-D

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 9 Feb 2020 22:57

I get scared of 'fey'. Even as a child, I thought one of my cousins seemed doomed in some way I couldn't explain then. I'd not heard the word 'fey' then but it fits. He was quiet and a bit shy, but healthy. He died in his 40s of a heart attack and I've been too scared to call anyone else 'fey' :-S

Allan

Allan Report 9 Feb 2020 23:20

It's a word that I have known since childhood. Not sure if it was a word used particularly in the north of England, but it was certainly in common usage. :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Feb 2020 23:47

Maybe Allan you could get an electrician to check your wiring?

In my other house I often had items of make up particularly a lipstick which used to move from a shelf in the kitchen.
I would go off to look for it in the bathroom, bedroom etc even though I knew I had placed it back on the shelf.
When I would return to the kitchen some 20 minutes later, the lipstick would be there!
I always thought we had a friendly ghost in the house who just like to play games with my things.

You said you had a ghost of a cat? well maybe it just playing games with you. Although I can imagine what happened to you is pretty scary...

I once was told that to get rid of an evil spirit or goblin etc you should laugh at it and it will go away.. :-D :-D :-D

Im sure there is a logical explanation and hopefully you will get to the bottom of it.

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Feb 2020 23:53

A roaming cat in the neighbourhood, Allan, or is your girl winding you up? ;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 9 Feb 2020 23:56

Thanks, Florence :-)

Although my daughter never saw it, I often used to see, or at least thought that I saw, the apparition of a small girl. She would be dressed in clothes of the Edwardian period.

This area has been settled since the Mid-late 1800's although where our suburb is would only have been bush.

Funnily enough, I stopped seeing the apparition once my daughter left home, but have still seen the cat.

Weird!