General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dubliners abroad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Oct 2019 11:49

should they be sent home at the end of their days?
https://tinyurl.com/yyylvmdc

( with Dermot in mind )

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Oct 2019 14:08

Begorrah!

I used to enjoy 'The Dubliners' no matter where their clár ceoil concerts were staged. :-D

I suppose you now have an idea of my age. I am old, fat & bald.

My memory is a bit dodgy these days although I can easily remember back as far as lunchtime yesterday.

A Devonshire squab pie has been promised to me for my super supper this evening.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Oct 2019 19:01

The Dubliners used to stay with my friend
When they where playing in our area :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Oct 2019 20:07

I am pretty sure that James Joyce did not pen the words to "Fields of Athenry" nor play the guitar.

“A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Oct 2019 20:22

My cousin's parents ashes were brought back from the US to Ireland for scattering. Their wishes honoured by son and family.

I am not too bothered where mine go...but I don't want them scattered here that's for sure lol, just somewhere 'nice' :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Oct 2019 17:01

'James Joyce as a guitarist'?

A complex character maybe - but I'm having slight difficulty in imagining his guitar playing proficiency - especially if it was an electric instrument.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Oct 2019 17:27

He certainly played the violin.
Here is one of his songs, sung without accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyEd6mRW4A

Dermot

Dermot Report 29 Oct 2019 15:28

My late father was a ciotógach fiddle player.

Not many of them around these days.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Oct 2019 16:29

he means left-handed