General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No reply from messages I have sent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 7 Jul 2019 00:15

I have messaged 3 people who had links with the same name as someone in my tree and they haven't replied . Is there anything I can do or do I have to hope that they will log at some point

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2019 00:50

Check your 'sent messages' box on GR. If there is still an envelope icon next to it, the message hasn't been read.

Unfortunately, a large number of members have lapsed accounts, no longer have access to the linked email address (don't use it, have died or become too frail) , or have lost interest. Never give up hope - there's a chance that they are busy & will return when the weather gets colder!

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jul 2019 00:53

You can see if they've actually opened your messages by looking at sent messages and the envelope will be open if they have. Other than that no you won't know if they're on here and just ignoring it; most wouldn't ignore though I'd hope some don't realize they can reply and many others just don't come on here anymore and if they changed their email address they'll never know you've contacted them.
If they have an unusual name you might find them on social media somewhere and you could message them to say you've sent a message on here.
Good Luck :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jul 2019 00:54

Great minds think alike :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jul 2019 03:11

Not that it helps but I was curious and I've looked back...I have a message I sent Nov 2010 that's never been opened :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jul 2019 03:50

Lots of people change their email address and forget to let EVERYONE know.

If they did that with a GR account, then any messages sent by GR to the address on file will just circulate round and round in the stratosphere.

No-one except the account holder and GR can delete a tree, and most everyone forgets that.

A good reminder is to make sure that someone close to you does have a listing of all sites to which you have subscribed, including the password and other access codes. Then tell them to do go on those sites and delete all your accounts if/when you die or become incapacitated.

Harswell

Harswell Report 7 Jul 2019 22:54

I have been a member from 2004, and had a supanet.com e-mail address.
Supanet .com informed me that even though having an e-mail for over 30years with them it was being terminated unless I paid a monthly fee. I refused to pay , so they finished my address and I lost all my contact e-mail addresses from all over the world.
I have many contacts on this site who I cannot get in touch with because they have either finished with this site or died etc thinking that I have not bothered to reply to their e-mails.
I still pay my subscription just in case.