General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

greenfly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jun 2019 18:06

I have not heard this before
These tiny aphids suck the sap from plants and trees, posing a real threat for farmers and gardeners.

“But they can also wreak havoc on motorists, too.

“The sticky substance they excrete from their backsides - bizarrely known as ‘honeydew’ - clings to roofs, bonnets and boots as a nasty residue.

“This goo then creates black, soot-like mould spores, which is acidic and can eat through paint.
Read More

'“It’s incredibly hard to remove from paintwork, requiring good cleaning products and lots of elbow grease.

“And you ignore it at your peril. A roof or bonnet respray could set you back around £500, or more, it’s vital you keep on top of cleaning regime in these early summer months.”

A full-sized tree can host an estimated 2.5 million aphids.

And they breed rapidly. Female aphids can reproduce “parthenogenetically” - which means they don’t need their eggs to be fertilised by males.

Meanwhile a single greenfly can produce 50 offspring. Within a month, that can result in some six million descendants.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2019 18:56

Eeeuuuwww :-S

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 29 Jun 2019 19:00

Ive never heard that either Ann

I throw washing up liquid and water over my plants in my garden
Green flys dont like it :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Jun 2019 19:54

hmmm .... so you have never had the fun of dealing with the effects on yr car after it was parked under a tree with a few million aphids. Or tried growing roses :-(
It is pretty well impossible to deal with them by using insecticides. In any case the ones that work are no longer permitted for domestic use.
What does work is ladybirds who love to eat aphids and greenflies..
Sadly ladybirds are in short supply due to farmers liberal use of insecticides.
Maybe they will recover.
Ypu can encourage them by planting marigolds, chives, cosmos, dill, fennel, yarrow, caraway, angelica and Queen Anne's lace.
This works over time and haas the big upsides pf costing little and is good for lazy gardeners. Soapy water works but not for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFW3zsjQUcI

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2019 20:30

Actually it's native ladybirds that have been in short supply - plenty of harlequins about though - which need to be eliminated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14043356

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2019 21:47

We often have that sticky problem if we park our car on the street under the maple tree. Lindens are also very bad.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 Jun 2019 12:12

Like JoyBA, I have always used soapy water.

When I worked, if it was a hot day it was a toss-up whether to park under the trees for shade or whether to have a boiling hot car, Sylvia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jun 2019 17:52

JoyL .........

same here!

But the last car we bought has air conditioning, which is a blessing now :-D

We bought it because we still had the cabin back in 2008, and we had to drive through a very hot area to get there ........... the Fraser Canyon even back then often had over 35C and often over 40C. The 4 windows open were not quite enough for a comfortable drive.

Now we're getting very high 20s and over 30C down here on the coast for days at a time, several times a summer.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 30 Jun 2019 18:45

Smut Fungus - we were told by the nurseryman. He gave us a cocktail in a clear plastic spray which we can use twice a year. We were also advised to use Rose Clear in between times to kill off more aphids. The best bit was to wash all the leaves both sides! After a while OH got a bit sick of this and came up with his own idea. Use the lance of the pressure washer on the lowest setting but only on strong plants such as holly. The pressure moves the leaves about and both sides are cleaned. All the above seems to have worked and we think we are now free of Smut
Fungus.

I have been known to drop a mention of Smut Fungus into dull conversations - it certainly livens up things!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Jul 2019 23:01

Don’t know if it is true, I’m no gardener but if you plant Garlick bulbs in and around plants it keeps the greenfly away.