General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Starter for 10

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2019 19:58

I had thought to rate our hopeful ten out of 10 but got a bit carried away. Are these all better than T May ?

Michael Gove 3 coke taking Steerpike, screwed up education
Matt Hancock 4 busy selling the NHS to the USA via contracted out
Mark Harper 0 who?
Jeremy Hunt 4 screwed up the NHS, adequate Foreign Sec.
kids himself of biz abilities
Sajid Javid 2 millionaire banker, nutter Home Office
more Windrush pain despite promises,
Boris Johnson -100 egotist, liar, lazy, incompetent FS
Andrea Leadsom -10 loathsome idiot
Esther McVey -10 mad
Dominic Raab -1000 wishes to start a civil war
Rory Stewart 6 run for your life Rory what are you doing here?

The road is hard, life is dreary.
My soul knows no boundaries.
What should I do with my life
When all the world is hardened?

Hands are outstretched on all sides;
The chains are heavy, how can I break them?
One lone step against tyranny;
One cause to live for all my life.

The road is hard but I am strong.
My soul is steady, fear is dead.
I'll know what to do with my life
When the whole world is freed.

La route est dure, la vie est morne.
Mon âme est sûre d'aucune borne.
Que dois-je faire avec ma vie
Quand toute la terre s'est endurcie?

Les mains se tendent de tous côtés
Les chaînes sont lourdes, puis-je les ôter?
Un seul pas contre la tyrannie;
Une raison d'être dans toute ma vie.

La route est dure mais je suis forte.
Mon âme est sûre, la peur est morte.
Je sais quoi faire avec la vie
Quand toute la terre sera affranchie.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Jun 2019 20:04

None of them is worth getting out of bed for but if I had to choose it would be Sajid Javid, as you well know R. The others are much of a muchness and some of them would go mad with the pressure.

Who would you choose off your list?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2019 21:55

Amber Rudd but she is not standing. Wise.

It does not seem that the candidates who say they will renegotiate the WA are aware that the new commission will not be up and running until after 31 Oct. So there will not be anybody to talk to!

As the old team inc Bainier have disbanded the chances of any change in the WA are nil. Phase 2 depends on ratifying the WA which is the only deal in town.

Assuming Bercow & co prevent brexit with no deal ( Macron has had his tail pulled for ANOTHER extension ) then Bojo et al have these options:

1. ratify the WA after all
2. hold a general election
3. have a referendum - remain would probably win but the MPs would keep their seats and expenses

If none of these please then proroguing Parliament as proposed by D Raab would do the trick. However the last time this device was used in Jan 1642 it did not turn out well.

"Charles I enquired of William Lenthall, the Speaker, as to the whereabouts of the five MPs. Lenthall replied, "May it please your Majesty, I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here." In other words, the Speaker proclaimed himself a servant of Parliament, rather than of the King."

The Speaker remains the servant of the Commons not the government of the day. Raab is being remarkably foolish.

Unless there is a big climb down by the Tories brexit is going to end up with no brexit, the implosion of the Tory and Labour Parties and possibly blood on the tracks.

At any event question time will be more exciting.

If I ran the Tories I would call a GE, move into opposition and repair the party while watching Labour tear itself apart. This lot are not foxes but pussycats.

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Jun 2019 13:38

I'd vote for Meghan Markle who seems to be under some unfounded press tittle-tattle lately. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Jun 2019 14:50

Well of course you would, Dermot.

Slap my hands but I want to ask if you'd vote for anything in a sk***?

You are incorrigible. ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Jun 2019 17:43

One of the main qualities the next PM will need is to be shatter-proof.