General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clean sweep for Debenhams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Apr 2019 10:26

Looks like the south east corner is going to lose all 3 Debenhams stores in Canterbury, Ashford and Folkestone.
How many workers will find new jobs?
Youngsters used to enjoy seasonal employment there too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48063604

Primark seems to be doing OK though.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2019 10:40

Debenhams (& House of Fraser) has lost its way. Shopping habits are a-changing.
Sad & worrying for the employees.

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Apr 2019 12:09

I've just looked at the list of Debenhams closing next year, I'm surprised at some going in areas I'd consider to be quite well off/busy but then the rent and rates will be so much higher too. The one in town is struggling I'd say, but not as bad as House of Fraser, even before Christmas there were very few people in there.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 26 Apr 2019 13:20

Ours is staying open So we must be turning a profit :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Apr 2019 13:56

When I lived in Canterbury Debenhams was an independent store known as Lefevre's. They had a mural of the Bayeux tapestry.

By far the biggest element buying clothes, makeup and so on are students at UKC and Christchurch. To say the least of it Debenham's has not kept up and so its day is done. There are lots of indie shops in Canterbury which are doing fine plus a thriving market.

The internet is a favourite excuse of dying chain stores but not true.The problems are with their business model.

First and foremost the idiocy of selling off the stores and leasing them back. The result has been a treadmill of higher rents ultimately impossible to pay and the no.1 factor in store closures.
Number two the stock is out of date (sometimes by years) and usually overpriced.
Add on unhelpful out of touch staff and it is no surprise that there are not enough customers being served. Like the sailing ship lines of yore which failed to shift to steam the department store is a disappearing feature of cities. If the USA is any guide shopping malls are under threat too.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Apr 2019 23:34

Ours seem to be staying put, it was originally Curls and was rebuilt after the war, having being bombed, it is on the centre of Norwich and on a big plot.

Our House of Fraser, purpose built on the site of the old Caleys/Mackintosh/Nestle chocolate factory which was demolished a few years ago, is staying, altho it did close briefly

Lizx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Apr 2019 00:01

Ours in Stockton-on-Tees is closing and we lost M & S last year too. Such a shame for the staff who will lose their jobs.

Kath. x

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 27 Apr 2019 09:26

Our Debenhams in Ilford is staying; it used to be owned by Allders. It's just as well it is staying as it is the centrepiece of the shopping mall; close Debenhams and you might as well close the shopping mall :-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Apr 2019 09:31

My daughter told me that an internet -linked purchase may be linked to some stores.

Unsure of what size to buy, someone might order a dress in size 12 and a 14.
Once tried on and selection made, the other cannot be sent back on the previous free returns policy, so the unwanted garment is taken into a local Debenhams and the dress is back in their stock and the shop has to pay out.

This won't help that store's sales figures.

Interesting to learn about Canterbury store Rollo.
I worked as a student in the Southsea store, when it was Handleys before becoming Debenhams. There were 'shops with shops' which I believe ran independently.. I was in Berkertex dress department, where we sold bridal wear too.

Southsea was then more upmarket than the rest of Portsea Island, but that hasn't now saved it from the latest closures list.

Madge

Madge Report 27 Apr 2019 09:35

Ours is staying. I used to shop in there almost daily and due to an office move I rarely go near it now. I am glad our town got to keep a big store. We have lost M&S , BHS Next and New Look , left only with tacky pound and vape shops.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2019 15:40

Gwyn I loved going to Handleys and Knight and Lees with my Mum when little, they were such smart places to shop. And it felt really posh to eat in their cafes/restaurants.

These are only the first shops to close, more will follow. So far Gloucester is safe. Ours still have a lot of shops in the shop. Principals has a very large floor space but Oasis is there and quite a few others.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Apr 2019 00:03

I remember Knight and Lees when I lived in Southsea :-D