General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could anyone help with Spliting Tree Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 23 Apr 2019 12:16

Years ago I gave a distant cousin a 'paper' copy of our family tree, he's asked me if I could give him an updated version of it, unfortunately he lives 400 miles away so I'll have to post it!

My question is can I 'split' my family tree - only give my mothers side (as that's where he's from)? and if so will all the children be on it? - some husbands married twice and had more children.

Apologies if these questions seem straight forward - I'm absolutely useless when it comes to modern technology.
Thanks for any help.

ShelleyRose

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Apr 2019 12:48

Not with GR.
you can export it as a Ged ile.
Import the ged file into Roots magic.
from there you can split the tree.

Look out for people on both sides which can be problematic.

Ged files do not contain graphics or embedded records.

Good luck

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 23 Apr 2019 13:04

RolloTheRed

Many thanks for your reply, sorry to sound so dim what's graphic or embedded files? (I did say I'm useless with computers lol) ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Apr 2019 18:18

graphics - stuff such as flags arms photos
attached stuff such as certs and census data do NOT get included in the exported GED file.
The free versioon of RootsMagic will do what you want just fine but expect it to be a bit fiddly. Use the color options to keep track.

Just in case you didn't know after you select "export tree" GR sends it to you , usually within 24 hrs, as en email attachment. Save the attachment to a name of your choosing and then import it into RootsMagic.

difficulty 5/10
time needed 8/10

Another option is to import the tree into Ancestry where such tasks are fairly easy but then you need a sub. and so will your rellie.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 24 Apr 2019 15:30

RolloTheRed,

Many thanks for getting back to me it's much appreciated (sorry to be so dim re: the above), I'll follow your advice. I joined Ancestry in January, but as yet haven't put my tree on there, unfortunately my cousin doesn't have a computer - so hence the need to split the tree into a manageable size to post (could cost me a fortune otherwise)!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Apr 2019 18:41

With Ancestry you can have as many trees as you like,
It also has a handy relationship editor.
Using that you can fairly easily create a mother's side only tree (or vice versa).
As you have noticed the trad hierarchical tree style is not v good for printouts. There are several free programs on the net which offer various tree formats which print v well and def worh considering for the post.

BTW if you have an Ay sub it is well worth install RootsMagic as it gives you an offline backup of any Ancestry tree.

Fyi do NOT make yr tree "PUBLIC" ( the default ) but make it private. Then only grant access to people whose bona fides check out. There are those who post utter rubbish those who post stuff halfway right (the worse) and collectors with tens of thousands of records. Kep them out.

good luck

btw there is free Ancestry access at most UK public libraries.