General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For those with Alexa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Apr 2019 09:41

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6910791/Alexa-listening-conversations.html

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Apr 2019 09:59

Personally I can't the point of having one

Von

Von Report 12 Apr 2019 10:23

Moral of the story is don't put Alexa in your shower or bedroom.
Alexa responds to the television so how do you know that it's not picking up that recording. ;-) ;-) ;-)
It is the Daily Mail after all. :-0 :-0 :-0

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Apr 2019 10:33

It's been in other papers during last year it's not new news as such. Amazon has admitted it but the recordings of abuse - what would you do?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Apr 2019 10:34

Government listening devices :-( :-(

Von

Von Report 12 Apr 2019 11:41

What do you do if you hear your neighbours being abusive Pat :-(

How do they know which particular devices they are coming from?

There are a lot more questions to answer ?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Apr 2019 11:53

Been there Von, I phoned the police when I heard my neighbour screaming and got her out of their house and into my home with her children. I also stood up to the brute with telling him I'd have him charged if he put a finger on me or came on to my property. Typical bully he backed down. Their marriage didn't last much longer thankfully.

He never spoke to me again. ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Apr 2019 12:08

Hard to please OAPs started ion itv last Tuesday. Very funny with Alexa not understanding Dot from Eastenders quest for a scone recipe.

Von

Von Report 12 Apr 2019 12:14

Namelessone

It can be very funny and a tad annoying when Alexa doesn't understand what you are saying.
We use our a lot for all sorts of things as do all the other members of my family. :-D :-D :-D
I've just asked Google for my name which she gave me.I asked her for OH's name but she didn't know :-0 :-0 :-0

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 12 Apr 2019 13:21

On phone to my daughter one day and we
we're having usual chat and a laugh.
Next thing she was shouting at me to shut up as she
wasn't talking to me.
She then explained she was talking to Alexa which I
never knew she had.

Why are these things needed, I just don't get it. :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Apr 2019 13:56

I prefer to continue reading (sometimes re-reading) several of Professor RTR's exhaustive & unexpectedly authentic contributions posted on Genes Reunited concerning many complex subjects - Brexit excepted.