General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

funeral plans

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 10 Apr 2019 11:44

in september i have a policy paying out the proceeds of which i intend to pay for my funeral.
However do i invest in a funeral plan and if so which one or has anybody any suggestion on how or where i can keep this money ringfenced.

Your thoughts gratefully received

maddie

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Apr 2019 12:15

Look around at at least 2/3 find whats included and who will meet your explitic requirements and at what costs ,as all do not have an all in exclusive...…plus of course its a down to how much is going to be pre-paid into the scheme.

some will provide,,,, only 1 family car.and a limited choice of coffin and its furnishings.

keep it local if you can so you get a face to face consultation and can be welcomed to any changes that maybe wanted in time.

I know from just recent events Coop crossed all the Ts an dotted all the Is with excellent expectations and gave every inch of their worth....…..but its all down to personal choice.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Apr 2019 12:24

Only one I know about was OH's aunt. OH was executor and in charge of funeral but it was all done already. Local CO-OP funeral directors (Strood) aunt had paid for just the hearse as she knew there was plenty of cars. Had specified which coffin she wanted. Aunt had stated hymns etc and which vicar. No flowers, which charities for donations.

All OH had to do was hand over death cert.. Very efficient, nice caring people, all went without a hitch and they sorted out ashes for us to collect.

Agree keep it local as aunt's funeral showed local knowledge made all the arrangements easy for them.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Apr 2019 12:37

I know some only have a limited distance for such an all inclusive price.

Not long ago lady lost her OH and had a prepaid,but in her confusion and utter shock didn't realise No headstone was included,which of course is another department.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 10 Apr 2019 13:38

My Funeral is all arranged with my very nice local director.
Paid him all the costs for what I want for my funeral.

Not having anyone there and just a coffin in the ground.

1 Hearse and coffin and no service.

Maureen

Maureen Report 10 Apr 2019 20:41

I used the Co-Op pre paid plan several years ago for my aunt, they were efficient and even though she lived over 25miles from where the funeral was taking place there were no problems i would use them again.

Just as addition, i took out the plan as my aunt lived in a Care Home and all her savings was being used to pay fees, at least i was able to release these funds with approval of Court of Protection Services as "frittering" away your own cash is not on.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Apr 2019 22:19

Last month we had my father's cremation.

He wanted, and got, the basic service provided by our local funeral directors who are members of the 'Dignity' group.

The total cost was £3495.00

This included
Collection (at the weekend, at home) and safekeeping of his body until the cremation and embalming. Including collection of the ashes and safekeeping until the family collects. £2066.00
Crematorium fees. £1070.00
Minister/Celebrant's fee £195.00*
Doctor's fee £164.00**

* The Celebrant in our case was exceptional. Guided us through the process and spent a long time ensuring that his words at the service really reflected my Dad.

** If there is a cremation, thanks to Dr Shipman, all deaths have to be 'signed off' by an independent second Doctor.

There was a perfectly nice coffin and we only had the hearse, no cars, but the requisite number of pall bearers were supplied.

Other costs we found were....

Death certificate £11.00 and copies are an additional £11.00 each, issued at the same time. (A recent price increase)

Flowers. We had a half spray for the coffin. £75.00

I know that Dignity have a prepay option and having being so impressed by their service I am seriously considering their 'Pay now, Die later' plan (obviously not called that :-D) as, let's be honest, the cost of funerals will only ever go up.

Hope that helps as it gives very recent costings for a funeral.

Chris

Maddie

Maddie Report 11 Apr 2019 10:00

thank you for your replies, certainly gives me alot to think about
Luckily have until september to decide

maddie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Apr 2019 10:38

.For comparison, father-in-law’s funeral cost £5088 in March, excluding death certificates. Extra copies were only £3.50 when the death was registered in Feb. The 5+k did include one car & 20 copies of an order of service.

The coffin topper was paid for by the immediate next of kin, something like £150 in total.
We were very traditional & held a ‘wake’ in a local hotel. They charged £11 per head for a sandwich & cake buffet & exclusive use of the dining room. His widow wouldn’t have been able to make it up the stairs to a cheaper one. Total cost for that £374.