General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mobile phone provider EE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2019 14:43

My daughter has just given me her Iphone7 which is great because I tested it and, despite my hearing problem, I could actually hear on it. The only problem (to me potentially), is that it is locked toEE. I have always been with Vodophone pay as you go and have had no problems with them, always seem to have got a signal when OH hasn't on his phone (O2).

Can anyone who is on EE tell me if they have had any problems with getting a signal or with anything else please.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Apr 2019 16:06

Have you tried this?

https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage

If you’re not getting a good coverage, can you get the phone unlocked or swap the SIM cards? As it’s an iPhone, is there an Apple shop in Town?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2019 16:11

I haven't got as far as that yet, we are just looking at the options. OH is trying to save my contacts, He is actually unable to unlock this one and he says a lot of people won't unlock IPhones I don't actually know if EE gets a good coverage, that is the reason for asking on here to see if anyone knows. At the moment it has no sim card in it, that is waiting until we go into town. I tried it for hearing purposes with daughter's sim card in it. I will check out that link though thanks.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2019 16:16

I think the link is only of use if you are actually using the phone on EE but it looks a useful link to have.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Apr 2019 16:16

If the phone is out of contract you can get it unlocked usually no charge. If the previous owner has kept the number you will get a new one with the new SIM card. Best bet for used phones is "3" .

There are only 4 national mobile networks EE*, Three, O2* and Vodafone* ; Virgin uses EE. There are lots of dead zones with EE/Virgin as you have discovered. Best coverage is with O2 but "3" are better value esp if you use Facebook and other video social apps.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2019 16:21

Thanks Rollo, can you explain to the dim please, why is E better for facebook users? With an ordinary phone I have never found vodaphone to be out of signal when O2 was. OH has O2 and I have vodaphone. O2 used to be particularly bad in the Lke District but I could usually pick up a signal on Vodaphone.

the phone is not under contract.

Why is 3 the best bet for used phones?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Apr 2019 16:46

"3" is best for used phones where the user is making full use of social and video apps. The reasons are (a) their network is setup to deliver good performance for such apps inc group use etc and (b) cheap. Their target market are the young (in mind at least) inc a good deal for PAYG. GigGaf support is lamentable.

O2 have data points all over the place which are free2access if you use O2. If you only use video apps. FB etc sparingly on the move.

EE have been bought by O2. Virgin is studying ways and means to take over Vodaphone without running foul of UK/EU competition rules.

Sleepy

Sleepy Report 8 Apr 2019 17:53

I have been with Three for 2 year's now they are good and do not lock you into their net work.

I have just put my son on Three network this year and we all use to be on EE network.

To get my son's apple iPhone 6s unlocked from EE was horrendous, you can ask EE network for their unlocking department and they should be able to help you.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2019 19:59

Thank you Rollo and sleepy.