General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confusion!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2019 13:11

I've just been looking up a list of words that have a different meaning in Cornwall to the rest of the UK. I realise this happens with all dialects, but it has explained some things to me.
My Cornish gran had a wonderful Old English Sheepdog, called 'Buster', which implies a bit of a bully (which he wasn't)
However, in Cornish, 'Buster' means 'someone full of fun and mischief' - which was gran's dog!
My dad was brought up in Cornwall, and occasionally used Cornish words.
For example, he didn't say 'Chimney' - he said 'Chimley' - which I used until mocked.
They use the word 'Turnip' for a swede - which explains why, when, as a child, if someone asked if I like Turnip (I don't - but I like swede), I said yes!

There are quite a few words I still use in the Cornish context.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Apr 2019 13:41

Big Head here.

The swede was introduced to Britain in the Agricultural Revolution when it was known as a Swedish turnip.

Can anybody explain why I might have retained a piece of knowledge like that?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2019 13:45

..so the Cornish kept the second part of the name :-S

You may have retained that piece of knowledge because it's so odd! :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Apr 2019 22:27

well up here, they call what we know as a swede, a turnip. When I said a turnip is smaller and more white as the swede is orangy in colour, they wont have it.
Burns night is neeps and tatties but is not really its swede and tatties. Even when we were in a local shop and I pointed out the turnips and swede, they just said we call them swedes!!

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2019 22:41

Yes, I remember that problem too! :-D :-D
By then I was old enough to realise and just said I didn't like it!

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Apr 2019 07:15

'Devon Dialect' by Ellen Fernau is a purty little book often used by Grockles. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Apr 2019 07:40

Ah - but the Cornish dialect is different to the Devon one, Dermot - as I found out when we moved from Cornwall to Devon :-S