General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Moghrey mie Vooinjey Veggey "

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Apr 2019 11:22

"Good morning little people." ( in Manx)

I don't watch This Morning often, but I am exceedingly diverted by the report just shown, re the potential effect of Brexit on leprechauns who may find disruption to their familiar routes from any constructions related to a hard border :-0

As everyone who has lived in the IOM knows, you must always be polite to the little people.

Should they not have been consulted? Is this why Mrs May is having such trouble? There may well be no pot of gold at the end of her rainbow lol.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Apr 2019 12:21

Afternoon Rose. :-D

I may have to continue to talk to the little people as some of my direct ancestors have the surname Cubbin which, apparently, originates in the IOM.

My pal's OH is taking part in some Manx project. I haven't a clue what it's about but I believe it's based around surnames from the IOM.

I thought I was going good with 96% Brit blood but he has 99%.

Have you heard about this project, Rose? I haven't googled it yet.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2019 12:24

Strange how the Isle of Man doesn't appear to be mentioned in the Brexit talks.

I realise the Isle of Man is not part of the European Union (EU) in its own right, and is not included within the scope of the UK's membership of the EU. The Isle of Man makes no financial contribution to the European Union nor does it receive any funding from the EU. It is not represented in the European Parliament.

...but it will be affected.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Apr 2019 12:27

And so will the little people!

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Apr 2019 12:49

JoyLouise, no I'd not heard about it, sounds interesting though as there are very distinctive Manx names.

I kick myself now because down in the basement archives of the college in Wales that I went to, there was a very old book on Manx history and names, I just didn't have time to investigate. Ditto a book about the area of Kerry where my ancestors came from. I expect ( hope) both are in the national library now as the college has closed.