General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cane

cane Report 1 Apr 2019 14:16

Please tell me this is not true...I have just read on the GRO sight that Certificates rare £11...
Nearly had a Bleeeping Heat attack.. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-0 :-0

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2019 14:25

yes it's true, they went up from £9.25. On the plus side you can purchase PDFs for births/deaths to certain dates I think those are still £6.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Apr 2019 14:32

The PDFs went up at the same time. They are now £7

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 Apr 2019 14:34

Yes £11 but still worth it

PDF's are from 1837 to 1918 .

Ordered a cert yesterday.

cane

cane Report 1 Apr 2019 14:51

Bit too pricey but I am still willing to pay (Have no choice really).. :-(

Thankx Everyone :-) <3

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 Apr 2019 15:08

The certs from my local register office is around £12 + postage but have to ring them to order.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2019 18:04

The pdfs are fine for family research, just not for official purposes .......... and you usually get them faster than in the mail

I ordered my first certificates from the local Register Office, and have several times on here documented the difficulty doing that from over here, including the different envelope sizes and inability to buy English stamps.

I finally worked out that the total cost of a certificate from them came to twice as much as from GRO! Have used GRO ever since!!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Apr 2019 22:30

Ah but what puts me off of using GRO for certs in the last 50 years,they want the bloody date for births.
And when you don't know the exact date it is off putting as the order won't go through,

It's annoying.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Apr 2019 22:30

Ah but what puts me off of using GRO for certs in the last 50 years,they want the bloody date for births.
And when you don't know the exact date it is off putting as the order won't go through,

It's annoying.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Apr 2019 00:04

Doesn't the "new" GRO Index help with that problem, Sue??

It gives the mmn (or no name) for birth registrations from July 1 187 to ca 1919.

It's certainly helped me.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Apr 2019 00:15

Sylvia, it doesn’t help with births which occurred in the last 50 years. It’s to limit the risk of Tom Cobbly & All ordering a BC of a random living person. Identity fraud & all that.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Apr 2019 03:17

ah ...............

I don't order recent certificates, and I didn't take in that was what Sue was looking for!

mea culpa!

cane

cane Report 26 Apr 2019 18:08

Has the price of certificates gone up again...Only I have just noticed a price of £14

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Apr 2019 18:15

Where have you seen that ?

edit that might be the £11 for the cert and £3 search fee if needed?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 26 Apr 2019 18:16

The price of £14 is what you pay if you don't have the GRO index information. If you need them to sort out the index numbers it's the original £11 plus a £3 search fee.

cane

cane Report 27 Apr 2019 10:36

I opted for a PDF.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 28 Apr 2019 12:25

Just sent for another 2 certs because I don't want photocopies of them

Von

Von Report 28 Apr 2019 13:23

Sorry Sue but they are photocopies.
It's how they send you a copy as you don't get the original. ;-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 28 Apr 2019 18:22

Sorry I should have said the PDF.'s