General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who's had this horrid flu bug then?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Mar 2019 20:27

Well the last 2 weeks has been something else. I had what I will call a "mini flu virus" which lastd 3-4 days.I was off work Mon-Wed(18-20) march.usual, sore bones, cold, hot etc.
Thursday went back to work and felt ok.Worked Fri, Mon,Tues and then...During the morning of Wed something came on me and I really felt ill. I knew I had a temp around 11 and def felt something bad was brewing. At 12 the teacher told me to go home and my boss agreed.

I checked my temp when I got home and it was 104. I went straight to bed.I was shaking and shivering like never before.Shooting pains up and down my legs, back and neck.

I tried to sleep but was so restless, was impossible. Unfortunately I cannot take Paracetamol, Aspirin or Ibruprofen so no pain relief to sort me out. My daughter said I was quite delirious all night.

Tuesday I was much the same.Developed horrid chesty cough on Friday which hurts my shoulder everytime I cough.

Today I feel ive turned a corner as ive managed to eat a little fruit and my temp is stable at 100. I weighed myself and have lost 8lbs!!

So that is my tale of woe.Has anyone else on here has this flu recently and were your symptoms the same or similar?

Please don't start a conversation about the flu jag as this isn't about whether to have or not.

Florence in the hebrides

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Mar 2019 20:57

Sound awful, & just when you thought the 'flu' season was over.

Although with slightly different symptoms, a family we visited have been suffering. Theirs lasted about 10 a week & included a sore throat. They insisted it wasn't a cold. The 10 year old was eating for the first time in 4 days.

OH's cold symptoms lasted a good two weeks (def a cold not flu, tha man variety or otherwise) and is still croaking 4 weeks since it started.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Mar 2019 20:59

Have you checked with your GP that you don't have a chest infection? If you're still coughing it might be worth it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2019 06:46

I went to the hospital on 11 jan to see the surgeon about my knee problem

Was only there about 2 hours which was a first for normal hospital appointments but the next evening i started to feel orf !!

Yep I had caught the dreaded flu .

Had the most awful chesty cough for almost two weeks and it took me almost 4 weeks to feel the flu had finally gone

It's a nasty bug this one and does lay you low for quite a time

David

David Report 1 Apr 2019 12:55

Have you had the flu jab Shirley ? There's always something lurking in a hospital,
look what happened to my leg.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Apr 2019 13:56

Afternoon peeps.
Well Im washed and dressed for the first time since last wed. my cough today is much improved. its actually a very loose, fluidy cough, not tight at all.

Ive mnage to do a little round the house and some ironing and now Im sitting here resting for awhile.

Sorry to hear Shirley, you had a dose too.Hope you are well rid of it now.

The only food I really enjoy at the moment is rather strange...tinned fruit. I ate a whole tin of pineapple yesterday and half tin of pears for my lunch.Im not normally that sweet toothed but it was what I needed as I feel good after eaten it.

If I can kep off the 8lbs I lost, that would be even better!

Florence in the hebrides

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2019 14:01

No I didn't get it done I,m afraid

Came back from Egypt in late sept with the Lurgy and it took over 4 weeks to go !

Was told no you can't have the jab till you have been clear for at least two weeks
Then had another infection so nope you still can't have it

Then it was sorry we have run out give us a ring next week

By that time it was leading up to Xmas so didn't get around to it and then 11th jan and bang I got the flu !!!

:-( :-(

David

David Report 1 Apr 2019 14:03

Glad yours isn't so bad Florence.
Have a HOWK to keep it moving.I find mine tends to to go down from the back of the sinuses. Vicks on your throat and chest helps you breathe more easily.