General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I have to admit I am getting old

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Mar 2019 14:35

Keep being told turn the tv down when I answer the phone to folks

Well tv channels vary in sound so it's constantly up and down on the remote

Thought ok for my piece of mind might as well have a hearing test

All done and would you believe I have age related moderate hearing loss

Was told it's a gradual thing so you don't notice and the brain adjusts to what it hears
Problem is it shuts down the part of the brain that no longer hears some sounds and that's not reversible

Sooo it's hearing aids now to keep literally on even keel

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Mar 2019 16:20

I have had that since I was 50 Shirley so you are doing really well.

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Mar 2019 17:31

Old age is just something you grow into at a maximum rate of 60 minutes per hour.

I try to keep an eye on my speedometer.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Mar 2019 09:19

Most TVs have an auto volume control. Enable it from the Settings menu. Then volume will remain the same regardless of device or program.
when taking a phone call press the mute button on the remote.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2019 09:32

I have three remotes for the tv as have a virgin TiVo box and a Sony sound bar

All three have their own remote

The sound bar remote doesn't have a mute button

It's a much better sound through the sound bar rather than the tv

The mute button on the TiVo remote doesn't work on the sound bar or the tv

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Mar 2019 11:06

I have TIVO6 and sound/mute work fine on the remote.

The remote has to be setup to connect to a specific TV in the case that atuoconnect fails The list is quite long. Support will talk you through it.

If you can control the sound from the remote then the mute should be working as well.

The surround sound will need to be using HDMI not SCART

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2019 11:16

Yes the surround sound uses hdmi

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 27 Mar 2019 14:22

So far, I am lucky that I don't have any hearing problems, Shirley, nevertheless, I have always turned telly off (in the olden days), pressed pause or the mute button if I answer the phone when the television is on.

I'm afraid I would expect others to do the same when answering my calls. Do those who tell you to 'turn it down' offer you the same courtesy? They ought to do so or keep quiet about it.

The trick is, I suppose, if you can't pause or mute, not to answer the phone when there is something on telly that you are enjoying. If it's urgent people will call back when they think you're in. ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2019 15:38

I have to put the incliner chair rest down and get acrosss the lounge to get to the phone before It rings off or goes into answer phone

It ringing always takes me by surprise so it's answer it and then think about the tv

If I,m making the call then of course it's turn it down first

Sometimes too its the mobile ringing and I forget the tv is playing to itself as I answer it

I'm not so rude as to speak to folks on the phone with the tv blaring it's just the initial answering the phone

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Mar 2019 15:51

Have you ever noticed those wireless phones that use your landline ? You can even get them complete with ansaphone, phone book and 2 or 3 units. Put it in your pocket.

You can voice control VirginTV / Tivo6 using Alexa if you have it by using the Harmony addin.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2019 23:20

Sometimes, when I phone a friend - his washing machine is on - and drowns him out :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Mar 2019 03:58

Shirley, why not get a landline phone that doesn't have a cord? When you are sitting down to watch tv bring the handset close to you so you don't have to dash across the room.

Also leave the calls for the ansaphone till you hear who is calling, then you can choose to respond or not, we do that so meals aren't interrupted.

Good luck with the hearing aids

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2019 06:30

I do have those Liz but the cradle needs an electric point so it's across the lounge
If I keep it by the chair the battery runs down

I have phones all over the house lol
The three phone system one in the lounge. One at top of the stairs added to the main phone line by a telephone extension lead and one in the study
a separate connected one to the landline at the bottom of the stairs which Is the main one connected to phone line
Because the house is a 1960,s build the kitchen in the front and the lounge diner at the back.
The telephone poles too are at the back of the house but in line is routed through the lounge and the understair cupboard to the bottom of the stairs .its the only way to get the phone in without having wires across the floor or threaded around yards of skirting

I know my daughter rings me every other evening and I try to remember to put the lounge one on the coffee table by my chair but I often forget as I get carried away doing look ups on the iPad for another group I belong too .