General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Remembering .................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2019 00:14

Madge's thread on "Does anyone remember .........", reminded me of the last few years of this site's older sibling, Friends Reunited.

I didn't want to spoil her thread with my reminiscences, so started this thread.

The sites (GR, FR and one other) were sold by their developers to ITV, who decided to replace the Chat threads with Connections Friends Reunited, which would be free. Things then went from bad to worse, of course, as we had no idea who some people were, and people signed up multiple times using different identities, some of which would be nice and some would be extremely nasty.

At one point, the "moderators" and staff were giving out 1 second and 1 minute bans :-D

You'd go to bed, and find out the next morning that you'd had several 1 minute bans during the previous evening, none of which you had even noticed!

I still have some of the most amusing threads with those kinds of bans because I thought it was so funny!

Was anyone else on FR back in those days, ca 2007 to 2011?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Mar 2019 06:56

Yes indeed
I started out being a member of friends reunited in its early days and did find some old school pals on there as well as some old work colleagues

I read rather than contributed

David

David Report 26 Mar 2019 09:20

I was on FR way back as there were a couple of funny posters, but I got out of it because some individual using pseudonyms were spoiling it for the rest. That is unfair.

On another forum I use at least four formerly good posters have quit the forum because of the sarcastic offensive comments of a FEW :-|