General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who's name goes on the birth certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Mar 2019 23:09

Can anyone shed light on this scenario?

2 females marry which is perfectly legal.They decide to have a baby.Wife 1 donates her egg with a donor sperm and has the embryo implanted into wife 2.

When the child is born and the birth registered, who's name is placed on the birth certificate as the mother, as the wife carrying the baby wouldn't actually be the biological mother of the child?

Has anyone come across this situation before?

Comments please

Florence in the hebrides

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Mar 2019 23:17

If a storyline in Coronation Street some years ago is correct, Florence, then it would be the woman carrying the baby - If I remember correctly :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Mar 2019 23:18

Never thought about that, Florence!! :-D

Then I googled:
https://rightsofwomen.org.uk/get-information/family-law/lesbian-parenting-and-the-law/

I can't make head nor tail of it - but I have had some 'juice' of the grape type :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Mar 2019 23:18

:-D :-D :-D@ Maggie!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Mar 2019 23:19

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Mar 2019 23:36

Well Maggie, ive just been reading the info on the link you gave.Crikey very complicated!
But it would seem that the birth mother is the actual legal parent that goes on the certificate and the other person if they are married would be legal parent number 2. The donor doesn't have any parental rights at all.But at 18 the child can obtain information about the donor.

Imagine trying to sort that out on the family tree :-D :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2019 00:21

Makes me glad mine just intermarried :-D :-D :-D

It was only twice (on one tree branch so far) - and they lived in St Allen, in Cornwall, which had a population of 435 in 2001, so goodness knows how low it was in the 18th century!
..as for the Suffolk lot - even my gran's great aunt admitted in 1936, aged 100, that she 'Remembered when the village consisted of 3 surnames - and yes there were 'idiots', but there were idiots in Lunnon (London) too, weren't there?!!' :-D :-S :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Mar 2019 08:31

Maggie there still is.

Sorry

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2019 08:49

G g g aunt Harriet was a soothsayer :-D