General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I Really Shouldn’t Have

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 16 Mar 2019 08:45

Eaten that but they should have asked. I went into a bakery near me on my way to work this morning and asked for a roll and sausage with no sauce. I got into work and after opening up I had my roll. One slight problem though despite asking for no sauce it had ketchup on it. I’m intolerant to tomatoes and so can now look forward to a morning of acid reflux, stomach cramps, and a rash on my neck, arms and legs. Yes I should have checked before eating but too late now.

Thankfully as it’s an intolerance and not an allergy the effects are unpleasant not life threatening. There seems to a lot more allergies and intolerances than there used to be though.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2019 10:38

My grandaughter has food intolerances.
She has had to change her diet quite drastically but feels a lot better with the new way of eating

She takes her lunch to work ,usually a salad, as she can't eat bread so the local sandwich bars are out

She too finds if she accidentally eats something she shouldn't she suffers side effects for the rest of the day

I would complain to the bakery for not selling you what you asked for
If you were allergic to the sauce ingredients you could have been in big trouble and they should be made aware of that

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2019 16:23

Yes, you should complain if you did indeed ask for "no sauce" loud enough for the assistant to hear.

BUT does "sauce" = "ketchup" in the minds of many people?

It doesn't over here! "Sauce" = HP, Worcestershire, etc. "Ketchup" is different, so you have to specify!

I'm not being picky or belittling you ............ I have a lactose/dairy intolerance and can look forward to 4 hours of being in the bathroom with a complete intestinal upset if I eat anything with dairy in it, so do understand your problem.

Have you tried taking Zantac for the gastric reflux? Here, Zantac is an over-the-counter acid reflux medicine that contains Ranitidine Can you buy Zantac in the UK?

I have a prescription for Ranitidine, and I take 1 every day, but 2 Zantac = 1 Ranitidine. It does help.

Tawny

Tawny Report 16 Mar 2019 18:02

I will be saying something to them particularly as they ask any sauces for you? You can buy Zantac and Lansoprazole in the chemist here and I have Zantac in the house. It is part of a large chain of bakeries so I’m sure they’ll take it seriously.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Mar 2019 23:03

My grand daughter has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease - and her mum (my daughter) has Crohns. One of my daughter's sons is also vegetarian.
Mealtimes will be a headache!
*memo to self* always have a buffet when they come around!! :-D :-D

Oh yes - and I have diverticular disease :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Mar 2019 23:20

I am a vegetarian and mostly dairy free. I really have a severe intolerance to cream, marg, and butter etc.
When I was 7 months pregnant, I was still working and used to ring up local bakery before 12 for 2 cheese salad rolls. I can eat cheddar.

I always said No butter twice to make sure they knew.It would make me violently sick for hours if I tasted the slightest bit on my lips.
I picked up my rolls and went to the staffroom. I checked the first roll as I always do and it was butter free so I ate it. I didn't check the 2nd one and guess what? yep it was buttered. Within seconds I dashed to the loo and was sick for ages. So much so I thought I would go into labour.
A colleague went back to the bakery and told them. But all they could say was oh dear sorry bout that!!

I rarely eat a sandwich out thesedays. Even if they make one up, they use a knife that has a bit of butter on and I cant get near it.
I feel sometimes im making a fuss about nothing.But if you have severe intolerances , I don't think others really understand what that is like.

Asking for a desert with ice cream not cream might sound a simple request but many times, it comes with cream after ive asked and then u have to send it back and wait another 20 mins..Its a nightmare really.

But I would complain about the sauce most definitely, you may have needed hospital treatment..
Hope you are ok now?

Take care

Florence in the hebrides