General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wot no Hot Matches????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 31 Jan 2011 02:49

Has anyone else noticed they are not getting as many hot matches as they used to receive. I am regularly adding ancestors to my tree but am not getting hot matches for them. Has GR IR team been tinkering and thrown out the baby with the bath wate?.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jan 2011 09:26

I have had none since they changed the system which shows how many were not hot matches before.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Jan 2011 12:24

I believe that GR are trying out a form of P O B (birthplace)info this MIGHT be a reason why no new matches are showing.

Bob

Merlin

Merlin Report 31 Jan 2011 13:57

I had one the other day,It was my Grandfather,already on my tree. Brilliant people on there,NOT. **M**.

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 31 Jan 2011 20:15

It would not surprise me if they were being taken over by ancestry.com they seem to be pruning what service they supply to force members to upgrade to a package that costs more. What a hide.

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jan 2011 20:18

Maxwell, they have already been taken over , by FMP not Ancestry.

jax

jax Report 31 Jan 2011 22:36

Last one I had that was actually related was my ex husband. I have since removed him and the kids.

I had one person with the name smith that was a big mistake....reams of hot matches of course none matched mine

jax

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Jan 2011 22:47

I had one of those "super hot matches" or something. The first one in weeks and weeks and weeks and yes, it was a match to a branch of the family that isn't really mine as I was researching for my OH's aunty. Still, nice to make a potential contact ... and at least it was a lot more accurate than the not matches we've had for years.

Jill

Huia

Huia Report 1 Feb 2011 00:27

I received my Super Hot Matches this morning, all one of them, in the tree of someone with whom I am already in touch through much earlier hot matches. I cant remember if she is related to me or my OH. Must check it out.

Huia.

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 1 Feb 2011 03:21

Yes I agree the Genesreunited computer doesn't seem to be able to recognise the members names you already have in "My Contacts". Someone altered the system back in June 2010 and it hasn't worked properly since.

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 May 2024 13:51

I never get any hot matches, and I've been a member for years. I have a huge tree. I think I will delete my account. I am just wasting my money.
Margaret

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 May 2024 14:33

Sometime in the 13 years since this thread was started Genes stopped doing Hot Matches.
Regularly Use the Surname Summary option under Relatives at the top instead.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 May 2024 14:35

You've added to a very old thread, Margaret.

Re hot matches - they were seldom accurate in any case. Often just people who happened to have the same name as one's relative.

If your hope is to make contact with possible relatives, use "Search all member trees" under "Search" at top right of this page.
If you find that one of your relatives is in someone else's tree on GR, click on "Find out more" and send a message explaining your interest.

If you're lucky, you may receive a reply.

But bear in mind that many people with trees on GR will have lost interest/died/no longer use a computer/ haven't kept GR updated with changes to their email address, and therefore may not receive your message, or be interested or able to reply.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 May 2024 14:40

Margaret it shows that you have been a member since 2003. Did you leave and come back because the subs are very ow for those that stayed on.

Family History is a very proactive hobby. You can'r hope to sit back and wait for others to get in touch - you need to do the hard work to get results.