General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

childrens homes in the west ham area of london

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lynsdreams

lynsdreams Report 30 Jan 2011 12:52

trying to find our about fathers past life in a childrens home and if we could get to see some records of the home but have no idea of how to find any homes in that area any information would be greatley appriciated i will be traveling home today from my sisters so will not be on here fo a few hours but i will contact any replys when i get home thanks in antisipation

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Jan 2011 14:35

Recently I have been chasing relatives in homes and discovered that there were several Homes in London area under the Waifs and Strays Society which later became The Children's Society. Worth trying but I warn you that you will have to be patient. In the beginning they will beable to tell you whether or not your father was in one of their Homes but you will then after producing documentation wait 3 months or so for reports of his records.

www.childrensociety.org.uk and [email protected]

Good luck

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jan 2011 14:45

depending on the years but there is Barnados and the McPherson homes

wisechild

wisechild Report 31 Jan 2011 14:11

Hi Linda.
As others have said, the Waifs & Strays Society is a good bet, but there is a very long wait for info.
I applied in October, provided birth & marriage certs for my g grandmother, mother & myself to prove relationship.
Had a very apologetic letter from them saying they were rushed off their feet & they woild try to get the info to me by April.
Marion

lynsdreams

lynsdreams Report 1 Jun 2024 13:40

thankyou all

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jun 2024 17:09

This must be a first :-D

It is usually someone new adding to a very old post, not the original poster coming back after so long.

I wonder if Linda was ever able find anything.